MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, apologies for so many threads about this damned car...

After overcoming the difficulties I had yesterday getting the car to start, I took it for a test drive. Everything was fine, timing chain was almost silent, no other issues to note.

Gave the car a few revs (3-5k) and shortly after I heard a small chirping noise under load. Brought the car back home by which time it was making a right loud rattle/knock as it idled, getting louder and faster with a few revs.

Surely it can’t be another guide gone? I’ve checked the belt tensioner, that’s fine. Took it out and put it back in, tight enough. Oil level is fine, no other peculiar noises other than the knocking below.

This car will be the death of me. :mad:

·
Registered
109 Posts
You've linked the wrong video...but I clicked through to your channel & found the right one. It's definitely rhythmic, when reassembling, you definitely checked the front guide rail located on the pin? Ensured the lifters were all situated directly over the valve ends?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
chirping only makes me think of a belt related issue, put up the right link up,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologies for the wrong video, here’s the correct one:

The knocking is quite peculiar, when I start the car up it’s silent, but as soon as it starts driving, the knocking begins and persists. Initially I thought there was maybe some plastic from the guide remaining in the timing chain cover, but if that was the case I’d have expected it to drop down into the oil pan by now.

I believe the chirping is an unrelated issue altogether, it’s intermittent and only starts around 1200/1500+ RPM, making me think of a dodgy idler pulley or the tensioner itself. As far as I can tell the belt is dry so it’s not a matter of oil/coolant getting on the belt, but the car does feel a little sluggish once it starts to chirp, as if it’s slipping on the supercharger pulley or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts