MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently installed an ebay engine in my car, it makes a knocking noise from the top end after it's been out on a run but only as I literally pull up to my house. I am at my wits end with it.

75k mile engine service history etc with it. I put new oil and oil filter new oil filter housing gasket and o ring, new rocker cover gasket new sump gasket cleaned it all out etc when doing it. Checked the bearings clearances Removed pick up pipe and checked it and cleaned. New dipstick gasket new crank gasket new cam gasket. New spark plugs and newer oem coil pack and fresh leads. Car is running Fuchs titan gt1 pro 2290 oil.

I swapped my PH3/4 into it and used the newer unmolested charger that came with the engine on stock pulley as didnt have access to pulley tool to fit my 17%. It has my hobotec intercooler on it. Also has janspeed manifold and decat paired with a milltek resonated cat back which were already on the car.

Initially I thought it had low oil pressure as the light was on constantly so barely turnt it over and never ran. I have since swapped my oil pressure switch and fitted a motor meter gauge. Shows 4.5bar on coldstart and 1 bar on hot idle. I have been verifying my temp with the speedo diagnostic menu to ensure I have a digital read out of it. Car drives fine no noise or rattles pulls very nicely only thing I have noticed is the fan does not turn on at 103 or 105 which is where I turn engine off I know the fan works as when you have the ignition on and remove the ecu plug the fan comes on as a fail safe. I have checked what I believe to be the known fuses and have the heaters on to stop any damage occurring throughout the test drive I can see the thermostat opening and closing correctly to regulate temperature have no loss of coolant. I also installed a new fletcher rad as I knew mine was the 17 year old factory one and a dave fab header tank to ensure the temperatures were taken care of the car has been bled and burped undoing both screws. Car does have aircon but currently has no gas in it unsure if this makes a difference here.

After a run I pull up at home and the top end sounds rough so I shut it off this has happened twice. I will attempt to start it tomorrow and see if it does it whilst recording to briefly showcase the noise.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or why it's happening? Appreciate any thoughts or advice on this one.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have made a video this morning just to briefly show the noise if that helps anyone.

Also if anyone has any advice on the fan as I have shorted my low speed and high speed together 4 years ago as the low speed was not working back then. Whenever the car needed low speed the high speed always came on even when pressing the aircon button after I joined the wires up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have swapped the tensioner out of my old engine and the noise has gone. I will order a new one and replace anyway. A question for anyone in the know when I removed the old one it was compressed like it had not opened is this how it goes one the oil pressure drops?

It must of previously been opened as the car has done 50 miles since engine install in different stints and only made that knocking on returning home.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The exhaust has not got a blow to my knowledge but I'll check it out.

The car is 1000 times better so far with the other tensioner. I have never had a tensioner fail on me whilst I am actually driving the car which confused me and felt weird as in it started fine ran fine drove fine but then as I pull up the noise is ridiculous. Thanks for everyone's input.

JKO do you know if the aircon has to have gas in it to make the cooling fan work. I know there is no gas in the system at the moment but cant understand why my cooling fan wont come on.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Yeah sorry pal I didnt read your message properly so ignore the response I gave.
Have you got another latest video to share?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do another video but the knocking has stopped. It just doesn't seem to have the fan working. My resistor failed years ago so I just joined them together and it's been that way for years. Only way I can make the fan come on is if I unplug the ecu to make a 143degree fault occur it does then run correctly. However it does not seem to be turning on in the 103 and 105 degree normal parameters.

That seems to be the only issue with the car now.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
a/c is not stopping the fan working, I have one here now that works on speed one with a new OEM style resistor and no a/c gas

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a/c is not stopping the fan working, I have one here now that works on speed one with a new OEM style resistor and no a/c gas
Damn, it used to work but only on speed 2 as I have joined them up. Have you ever encountered this before? Its weird situation. My last guess is to remove the temp sender in the head.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
that clip is just tensioner noise

they do compress in use a bit and can just stick, personally I just take mine out if it does it persistently, operate it repeatedly and refit it already extended. it's only stuck like that a couple of times over the years.

I don't know about the fan issue, if it works with the ecu connector disconnected as you've said perhaps the sensor is faulty but this I'd expect reflected at the gauge or in any live data, personally I'd have the resistor in/changed, wired as intended

1 - 11 of 11 Posts