MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received my pulley kit from Rich. (Thanks Rich) and its not quiet what I expected to see. The depth of the V grooves seem far to deep making contact area with the belt minimal and therefore the greater risk of belt slip. Am I just being anal or ccould there be an issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i'm guessing it's more or less the same depth grooves on all the pulleys and same sort of belt as everyone else is using
don't forget the belt will be under a fair amount of tension which will force the belt into the pulley slightly

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm guessing it's more or less the same depth grooves on all the pulleys and same sort of belt as everyone else is using
don't forget the belt will be under a fair amount of tension which will force the belt into the pulley slightly

Yeah it just seems a little strange. I would of thought kavs would of had a better tolerance in the maching process so the contact area would be far greater. The V grooves in pulley are approximately 3.10mm deep and the gates belt has a thickness of 4.20mm, wouldn't need thats much tension before the pulley shredded the belt.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There must be loads of us on here and elsewhere that run KAVS pulleys and I can't remember ever reading of any problems with slip or anything else.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yep. Evo 1 model. Theres a few pics in the mini free zone I posted a couple of months ago if you want a look.
Wow very cool, I really miss my old 16 valve, best car i've owned (the mini reminds me of it), I sold it and bought a TT6 Supra which I still have but I would still trade it for a 'Grale any day

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I've just received my pulley kit from Rich. (Thanks Rich) and its not quiet what I expected to see. The depth of the V grooves seem far to deep making contact area with the belt minimal and therefore the greater risk of belt slip. Am I just being anal or ccould there be an issue?

It is old thread - looks like I missed many of them on old forum.

If the belt come to the end of grooves you will have no grip at all.

Probably is good to know some physics before making "bad" influence on the forums etc....

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My old man had 3, all brand new. Never used to see another on the road.
First one converted to RHD, said it spoilt it.
Last 2 kept as LHD.
He sold his last one, 3 yr old for £15k (going rate at the time). Within another few years they were 25k+ second hand. Doh!
Think his last one was L reg which made me 14 at the time and cool as fuck at school lol.
And I got to drive all 3 :cool: and charged my remote control car from it every weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts