MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everything is slowly coming together-at some point I might actually fit all these bit I've got lay around! ? Just wondering whats your guys and girls choice on pulleys? I've seen also that Orrange do an interference fit one that has to be heated to about 300c before being fitted so nice OE look to it but I'd be a bit concerned that that 300c heat transfer down the input shaft would damage the input shaft seal and cause another unwanted oil leak?! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It won't cause a leak.

I did mine at home with a blow torch & as soon as it was on I dipped it in a bucket of water to take any excess heat away quickly.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
I’ve got a Kavs on mine, the beauty is you can swap them round by removing bolts as carsorbikes did with mine the other week, he had a 15% on his car, I had an 11% on mine, we did a swap, the centre spline stays on the supercharger shaft and just the wheel bit comes off for the swap

having emailed Kavs they do replacement pulleys (and 3 bolts) for approx £75 delivered so you can have a variety of sizes to swap around if you wanted (obviously need different sized belts too)

I think Sean managed to get the pulley off by jacking the engine up slightly to get to it

mid heard that the interference fit ones can be a bigger to get on and off and you have to get it spot on first time or I could be off centre/wonky and cause a wobble

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Must admit I like the idea of the Kavs one..... four bolts as apposed to the alta 3 bolt set up (y) How much room is there behind the clamp bit in relation to the input shaft oil seal?

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
GTT for me, the other interference one you have seen is just a copy of theirs, with the difference being that GTT who did the original interference fit pulleys actually fitted them, nobody else offers the service, mine was/is a GTT and that's where I'd continue to recommend going personally, they can do it by post, it costs more, but will never damage the charger shaft. They still are the only people I think to be overhauling chargers.

If you need it removing I can do that as I had a tool made for GTT pulleys but it's unlikely you'd need to. Other cars I've had or have are on Kavs I think. I have another car here with a 17, and one with a 19, both will likely be coming off and one either stock or whatever a buyer of the car wants, the other GTT again.

The interference ones won't run off line, more chance of that with bolt on pulleys as there're more of them being fitted obviously but unfortunately in some cases by people that shouldn't be doing it, or cars bought with them already on not installed right of course which is just unfortunate for the next owner. I think on this forum there must have been four last year I seem to recall being written about having come loose etc.

I might just have my own interference ones made in 11, 13, 15, 17, then I can install what I sell perhaps but got enough to be made right now, shifters before pulleys, driveshafts before shifters haha.

Reactions: Deavilly76

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GTT for me, the other interference one you have seen is just a copy of theirs, with the difference being that GTT who did the original interference fit pulleys actually fitted them, nobody else offers the service, mine was/is a GTT and that's where I'd continue to recommend going personally, they can do it by post, it costs more, but will never damage the charger shaft. They still are the only people I think to be overhauling chargers.

If you need it removing I can do that as I had a tool made for GTT pulleys but it's unlikely you'd need to. Other cars I've had or have are on Kavs I think. I have another car here with a 17, and one with a 19, both will likely be coming off and one either stock or whatever a buyer of the car wants, the other GTT again.

The interference ones won't run off line, more chance of that with bolt on pulleys as there're more of them being fitted obviously but unfortunately in some cases by people that shouldn't be doing it, or cars bought with them already on not installed right of course which is just unfortunate for the next owner. I think on this forum there must have been four last year I seem to recall being written about having come loose etc.

I might just have my own interference ones made in 11, 13, 15, 17, then I can install what I sell perhaps but got enough to be made right now, shifters before pulleys, driveshafts before shifters haha.
I'm presuming you still have to warm the GTT ones up?

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Yes, they'll possibly give you guidance on it.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,405 Posts
I had a well documented nightmare with my kavs pulley. Alta V2 is the only bolt on pulley that I would recommend, especially if 'something' has damaged your supercharger shaft

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a well documented nightmare with my kavs pulley. Alta V2 is the only bolt on pulley that I would recommend, especially if 'something' has damaged your supercharger shaft
Let me guess, the words 'incorrectly fitted' cropped up a lot? :unsure: Seems to be the aftermarkets go to relay to all to be fair. Seeing as you have experience of both does the Alta one come with thicker bolts than the Kavs? Say M8 instead of M6? And is there a specific torque setting for them or 'knock yourself out'?

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
Astroboy, with me being quite new here what happened with your KAVs pulley?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,405 Posts
Astroboy, with me being quite new here what happened with your KAVs pulley?
I installed it exactly as per the instructions that you don't get, using the locking washers provided. It stayed put for over a year before it let go big style. Even now it's near impossible to find actual fitting instructions on Kavs own website as there are no links if any kind from the product page. Suffice to say I I hadn't used thread lock as I assumed the locking washers would be sufficient. The pulley itself locked onto the shaft and had to be cut off. I went for the Alta (which came with full instructions) and never looked back. It's a far better design.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, they'll possibly give you guidance on it.
Might do a bit of both tbh, From your replies on my other posts you can kind of gauge where I want to be with my car, was reading the head thread last night that you were commenting on with RMW and Thumper from 2014 :oops: You seemed to be wanting the same as me, talking my language, if you will.
So varying things have been going through my mind of late and I think the end goal with be to yank the engine and re- build it( over 3 months/ 1200miles it's used 1.7litres of shell's finest helix PD ) After we've all got over the Covid outbreak and I'm settled ( hopefully end of year ) I can fully operate. But going back to the OP the little bits I'd like to source now, fit, make sure they're ok etc. Another factor now, one of my 'men' may be going into administration very very soon unfortunately, very sad as he's a talented bloke, also means I will loose my closest port of call for Autologic. So I might get a Kavs/ Alta one as a stop gap until the motor comes to bits and the charger gets set to GTT anyways, it states on their website that they will only reinstall either the original or their pulley, any other and it will get sent back in the box as a separate item.
BTW apart from the seized adjuster ring what's the fella's car drive like that you put the Bilstein B14's on last week?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts