MiniTorque.com banner

41 - 60 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Some DIY bits

Here is the boot brace I did for less than £10

I made a simple pattern and cast two aluminum brackets, machined them on the old Bridgeport at work and got the bar welded in by a guy over the road

These are the adjustable drop links I've just made from some stock ones. Hopefully get them fitted at the weekend and see how they go.

·
Chop it
3,791 Posts
Also...

Should get one together tomorrow. Might work. Fuck loads cheaper than buying them. Will I die if a rear drop link breaks?
Had a stock set for ages as this was my plan for them too ;) well done for getting there first. I am just using hex bar in the middle of mine

You are going to regret not having the polybush pressed in before you powder coated as it will crack all the coat off, very tempted to send mine back now the outer collar is pushed in

Also the rear strut would be better if above the rear shocks as the bracket is not really on all that well and bends a lot so not really a worthwhile point to put the brace but it looks nice and a lovely job on the casting and the weld looks lovely too

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah if these work I will make more but use hexagonal bar instead of the shitty McGillian(sp?) ones. They look like Chinese shit tbh. Then I can get the length of the turnbuckles just right too.

As for the bar I agree its far from the best place. I can hear it creak like fuck though when I corner really hard! Must be something going on.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Just had it cleaned. Fogs are Nokya 2500k bulbs with yellow lamin-x. Sidelights are LED with diadem indicators and light tint lamin-x. Car is going paint shop on the 30th to have keying sorted out. Will also CC door handles and light rings. Then I'll lamin-x the headlights.

How well do light rings come off?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Been interior painting. Going all matt black inside :)

Just clipped the a pillar covers in

Going to do speedo and rev counter ring in body colour when car gets painted at end of the month. Also got eye on a roof lining :)

Found a bit of wet under the passenger side footwell so need to sort that out before putting all the lower interior back in.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got my R56S calpiers back from the powder coaters today. They look fucking nuts. Just built them up.

What ya think?

Got some Nitrac 12 Groove discs on order too which I feel was a good move. Twice as much as I planned to spend but I figure they'll last ages so I can justify it.

Pads I have 100 quid budget as I need fluid.

Torn between M1144 and Performance Friction...

Also need some clips from OEM pads! They dont come with aftermarket ones. Anyone have some I can buy off them?????

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
How do you find the PFs? I'm coming from stock 1st gen calipers and pads so anything would be better lol. But I just want to spend my money the best I can.1320 didn't think they came with the clips. I'll get them to find out for sure though. BMW only sell the clips with pads. Well there isn't a part number for them on their own. I could try asking my dealer. eBay has nothing.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Car is at the body shop for repair to keyed bonnet, cc'd door handles, headlight rings and dial surrounds. Get it back on Wednesday.

:(

So long to wait...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
How much is the bonnet costing Karl? I'm presuming it needs to be resprayed?
Well the stripes are painted in so what they are doing is just painting the section of blue up to the little stripe so 'only' £80. Stripes save the day again lol.

Lovely project here. Love the attention to detail!
Thanks very much. It's nothing compared to 99% of the cars on here I know, though I'm happy to take it slow and just enjoy it. Its taken me months just to save for front discs and pads!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I tell you what I've had so many days where I've either not been able to drive the car or its been away over the last year. Hate it! Its been gone for 33 hours now...

The spray shop I use are fantastic. When they re-sprayed it before it looked amazing. Far better finish that factory fresh. Just a shame I'm not into keeping cars clean. Ruined the paintwork already really. Should take it to premium detailing one day.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Got the car back yesterday afternoon!

Lovely job of the respray and I also collected my bonus bits I had done.

Fitted the door handles back on with their freshly painted covers.

And put some of my interior back in along with the new dial rings.

Very happy.

Just waiting for my lamin-x to come before I re-fit the blue headlight rings and put the lights back in the car.

Under the passenger side carpet was soaking wet. Water has been getting in through the hole the battery cable comes through. So carpet is now out and car can't be driven again. Grrr.

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
Looks good Karl - You should talk to Loui about his 3 spoke wheel would make a world of difference to your interior.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Looks good Karl - You should talk to Loui about his 3 spoke wheel would make a world of difference to your interior.
I really would love to. The 2 spoke is vile. But I need to spend the money on finishing off my brakes, trailing arm conversion and studs and spacers...

What's happening with your dash top? Leather trim?
No I had it removed when I had the dash face out and took that photo before refitting it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Lamin-x has come today. Here is a kinda before shot with the ring just laid on the light.

Too much blue I think with the joey and now the cc rings which is what I guessed it would be like. Hence ordering Lamin-x.

Also, pic through back of car...

41 - 60 of 203 Posts