MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In this thread I want to keep track of the modifications I’m doing to my Cooper S.

In 2006 the MINI started its life in Germany and got imported into the Netherlands in 2007. I bought the car in October 2017, as a nice upgrade over my Peugeot 206. So that’s where my ‘MINI story’ starts.

Since then the car has been quite a money pit. I’ve replaced a lot of engine components (HPFP, coils, sparkplugs, clutch etc.) and ultimately ended up letting the engine rebuild, since I was already balls deep in money wise and loved the car while it was working.. My plan is to build a fast road car which will occasionally see a track day.

The car has the following options/modifications done to it:

Exterior:

JCW body kit
MINI LED DRL’s
Alta short antenna
Black light rings front and back

Plans: RSIc6 GP2 replica spoiler, Challenge diffuser, mud flaps, joey mod black headlights, tinted windows, chrome delete.

Interior:

JCW Recaro Sportster CS in leather
JCW shift knob
JCW coolant temp and % of torque gauges

Plans: Custom steering wheel + black inserts

Engine:

Built engine with forged internals:
CP pistons 77,5 mm
ZRP con-rods with ARP bolts
Schrick cams
Stock bottom and head
Airtec fmic
ITG panel filter
Forge diverter valve kit
Forge noise generator delete
Forge intake hose
Forge charge hose
Catless downpipe
Cooper S exhaust with JCW end tips and an electric cut-out valve before the muffler.

Plans: JCW exhaust, hybrid turbo, oil catch can, Bytetronik software (w/m injection, new clutch, LSD)

Suspension:

KW v1 coilovers

Plans: new alignment

Brakes:

AP Racing 304 x 24 mm

Plans: nothing for now

Wheels:

OZ wheels superturismo 17x7,5 with 210/40 Sailun Atrezzo ZSR tires

Plans: Lightweight wheels with summer tires/semi-slicks

Currently I’m still running the stock MCS turbo, but on the lookout for a hybrid turbo. I’m leaning towards the, just introduced, TurboSystems turbocharger. To keep things safe with the stock bottom, my power goal is 270-290 bhp. The car will be mapped with Bytetronik software once the hybrid turbo is on.

Because everyone loves pictures, here are a few:

For more pictures and to be updated first, you can follow me on Instagram @jos_r56

Any suggestions for mods and your thoughts about the car are more than welcome!

I’ll keep you updated :)

Jos

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, thanks for the advice, but I just ordered something a bit more suitable for my setup...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This beauty is on its way from Lithuania.
It’s the newly developed TurboSystems turbo, designed to have 300+ bhp capabilities.

It’s safe to say, I’m super stoked!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. Good to see what you're planning.

But why cheapo tyres? I've never even heard of those things.
Thanks!

Those tires were mounted when I bought the wheels. I only drove a few thousand kilometers last year, because I was working abroad and because of the engine rebuild, but honestly the tires are not too bad.
I never heard of the brand either and I want to refurbish the wheels and mount winter tires anyway, but when I looked them up they are actually “performance” tires. And I have to admit, the grip in both dry and wet conditions is quite good.

https://youtu.be/8mC_9WbX7Uk

I’ll drive with them until I have bought new wheels and summer tires.

Great progress, btw , I've had that turbo for a year and they are awesome.
Thank you. Good to hear! But this turbo has been developed by them just recently. It has a bit bigger internals than the previous turbocharger they sold, and I have one of the first units. So I’m really curious to see what it will do with my setup.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Thanks!

Those tires were mounted when I bought the wheels. I only drove a few thousand kilometers last year, because I was working abroad and because of the engine rebuild, but honestly the tires are not too bad.
I never heard of the brand either and I want to refurbish the wheels and mount winter tires anyway, but when I looked them up they are actually “performance” tires. And I have to admit, the grip in both dry and wet conditions is quite good.

Thank you. Good to hear! But this turbo has been developed by them just recently. It has a bit bigger internals than the previous turbocharger they sold, and I have one of the first units. So I’m really curious to see what it will do with my setup.

Well unless they developed two in 2018...it's the same one

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well unless they developed two in 2018...it's the same one
Yeah, maybe you’re right, I don’t want to argue. But according to them they just produced the first batch last week after a lot of testing and this one is different than the one they had in stock last year. Anyway, the internals are:

Turbine wheel 45 x 50 mm

Compressor wheel 48 x 60 mm + extended tips

Air intake has been enlarged to 52 mm

So you tell me if it’s the same or not ;)

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I had to wait for mine back in May as they had changed the old design for a bigger model that would do 300+ so I imagine its the same.
Picture of mine in my build thread so you can compare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can’t tell from the pictures, as the differences in dimensions with the previous one are very small, so only measuring would tell. However they claim this turbo has 330+ capabilities, and the last one was rated 280-300.

But as I said before, I don’t want to argue and maybe this is the same unit as you have...
Anyway I’m really looking forward to get this installed and get the proper software for it!

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Thanks!

Those tires were mounted when I bought the wheels. I only drove a few thousand kilometers last year, because I was working abroad and because of the engine rebuild, but honestly the tires are not too bad. I never heard of the brand either and I want to refurbish the wheels and mount winter tires anyway, but when I looked them up they are actually “performance” tires. And I have to admit, the grip in both dry and wet conditions is quite good.

Fair enough. You may need some sticky tyres with your set up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts