MiniTorque.com banner

401 - 420 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Not much to report over the past 3 months.
But for the first time ever I've had winter tyres on. Couldn't justify the price of some Continental ones for only being on for around 4 months, so got some Nangkang SV-3 which got reasonable reviews.

Got a large crack in the (original) windscreen, no idea how.

Worst news, discovered this after washing the car a few weeks ago. Seemed to have appeared all of a sudden as I never noticed it the previous wash!

Car is booked in to sort that soon...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
When the car was 9 years old, I changed the coolant expansion tank for a genuine oem one, purely as a precautionary measure, as we all know these things eventually leak (shoddy German engineering).

Just when I thought 2019 was going to be an inexpensive year as I have no more modifications planned...

5 years later... yesterday, I noticed a slight leak

Got this on Amazon Prime for £40, next day delivery

Hopefully the car will stop surprising me :crying:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Make sure the coolant hose isn't rubbing on the shifter cables. I've read some comments on that on one of the FB groups, had my mechanic fix the hose so it doesn't touch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be careful with the coolant cap! The spring was weak on mine & I ended up returning to my standard tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Make sure the coolant hose isn't rubbing on the shifter cables. I've read some comments on that on one of the FB groups, had my mechanic fix the hose so it doesn't touch.
I thought the hoses were all much higher than the shifter cables.
Will check when I change the clutch in a few weeks.
I did have to put a couple of washers behind the nut at the top of the expansion tank as the overflow pipe is welded on at an angle and was touching the bracket for the PS reservoir.

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
I thought the hoses were all much higher than the shifter cables.
Will check when I change the clutch in a few weeks.
I did have to put a couple of washers behind the nut at the top of the expansion tank as the overflow pipe is welded on at an angle and was touching the bracket for the PS reservoir.
they're well away as you look at the ends but moving back they cross over each other, so the bottom heater hose is just over the cable/s.

WP_20170710_002.jpg

Reactions: JohnnyC

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
Be careful with the coolant cap! The spring was weak on mine & I ended up returning to my standard tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the OE type screw version with the higher rated screw on cap from the Volvos that Colin (Astroboy) found. If that doesn't work I will take it and have a stant cap and neck welded on.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The Volvo cap has been excellent on mine too (thanks again Colin). I have one of these new alloy ones to try but I'll get a different cap first with a higher venting pressure as the supplied ones aren't great. Always something wrong with the cooling system on these cars.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Bugger
25,314 Posts
Isn't the tank under pressure in about every car as it raises the boiling point..?
Not sure old chap, I know the cap on the R50 wouldn't hold any pressure as its not a screw down one. I've seen more secure caps on bottles of water, it just flips open like the windscreen washer one.

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
The r50 cooling system is under pressure, the tank is an overflow and is not under pressure. The pressurised cap on the r50 is next to the cam cover on the right hand side

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Worst news, discovered this after washing the car a few weeks ago. Seemed to have appeared all of a sudden as I never noticed it the previous wash!

Car is booked in to sort that soon...
Upon sanding down, it was best to cut it out and weld in new metal

The underside was also treated

Just the clutch to sort out now...

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I had my bootlid repaired about 2 or 3 years ago, noticed last week it's started to bubble again in the same place.

I assume he just rubbed it down and repainted.

Ps, who did the work for you?

401 - 420 of 435 Posts