MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to the forum & I am putting up a thread for my new adventure in tuning up my mini to share all the ins & outs / ups & downs. This is my first tune up project although

I have had 4 minis before (2x998's & 2 x r56 Cooper as company cars) but this is my first adventure in a serious tune up.

I am going for a fast road car, I am not too interested in track (could change) and I will be driving the car everyday around my area in Stockport/Cheshire.

I have been looking for a few months across Autotrader & eBay for the right car at the right price etc. Lots of very silly used car prices at the moment due to covid19. Well an offer came up that seemed too good to be true so I got a mechanic to check the car over and it passed (mostly), so I have taken a chance on it. I expect it may need a little work to bring it up to my standard but lets see, fingers crossed :)

I have gone with a cooper S rather than a jcw as I need to have an auto gearbox due to left leg injury. So Cooper S Auto it is for me… (remapping the auto gear box is going to be interesting when I get round to that)

So here she is;
1 x r56 2012 n18 engine Mini Cooper S auto in grey with 55k.
I am going to run the car for a month or so not doing anything just to get used to it and see if it throws up any major maintenance requirements. I know it may have a slight leak and may need tracking attention too according the its report, so lets see how it fairs over the next few weeks.

More to follow…

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picked her up today from Kent a mid-day and drove back up to the North West, home by 6:30pm - not bad, and got to drive home through the Peak District, which was fun!. I have a a list of 6 things that need attention so far :), it would be fair to say that she needs a little TLC, which was the plan all along so no issues there...
On the list in the short term;
(The adventure begins!)
Whining sound at speed to be investigated
Possible oil on turbo inlet pipe (to investigate)
Air con not working - (ekk - hot day!)
coolant level low
fuel cap is loose
Cabin pollen filter not in place!
Steering wheel off centre - (tracking?)
Washer jets to unblock
Interior valet
Polish and tidy up outside
scratched headlight - polished?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At least you have the Cavalry nearby to you as in "CarsorBikes" on here, welcome.
Oh great - I am new to the mini 'tuning' scene so yes please do share any local help / support / garages / experts / clubs many thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update time,
Took JeWeL over to my local trusty garage today to get a really good look at her... plus another local mini guy who seems super knowledgeable.
As I suspected some major work is needed (sadly) before we do any tuning.
Unfortunately / sadly there is a crack in the side of the gearbox that has been poorly repaired and is now leaking, Ouch!
Now in the market for a new auto gearbox... :)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
little update, and big shout out to Tom @ LA Mini, great service today and a new gearbox is on its way to me and my local mechanic. One side of the bottom of my car is currently bathed in transmission fluid leaking from the current box, its not a good look! :)
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JeWeL is booked to have the new gear box fitted alongside some other additions to start the adventure off.... (more news to follow...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
visited the workshop this morning for an update, engine is just about to come out and new transmission ready to go... lots to do!

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts