MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
I bought my JCW turbo from TurboTechnics. It was an OEM BW turbo and a lot cheaper than from MINI or other resellers.
Make sure to have the car mapped when fitting the turbo or avoid driving on boost if you must drive the car before tuning.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got that one. I've put about 2.5k on it so far. Running Manic stage two map, and on a really hot day made 270 + 412nm. So far so good. ?
Sounds like a very good result! I was looking into the stage 3 (apparently the cooper s can go stage 3 with a JCW turbo on it?) but I have the automatic gearbox and not sure how that'll hold up.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
Sounds like a very good result! I was looking into the stage 3 (apparently the cooper s can go stage 3 with a JCW turbo on it?) but I have the automatic gearbox and not sure how that'll hold up.
You are correct. But I wouldn’t unless you’re willing to pay for a rebuild.

I had a JCW turbo and made 285+ BHP and 450nM of torque. But, I did have the bottom end forged etc. Just prepare yourself, you’ll always find the weak link when you up the power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct. But I wouldn’t unless you’re willing to pay for a rebuild.

I had a JCW turbo and made 285+ BHP and 450nM of torque. But, I did have the bottom end forged etc. Just prepare yourself, you’ll always find the weak link when you up the power.
I'll probably stick with Stage 2 then in that case, don't have the time/money to be doing forge upgrades.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,145 Posts
I don’t believe Manic are still going, not sure who is tuning R56s these days but just make sure you or someone with the know how gives the motor a once over. No point tuning an engine that’s already nursing a few issues. You’ll only make them come to light, usually in a more spectacular fashion.
You’re already looking at replacing the turbo. Check your manifold at the same time as they tend to crack where it meets the turbo and you’ll likely want to replace it. Also check for coking on the intake valves and just general wear and tear. Keep on top of regular maintenance especially if it’s an N14.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s right, manic are no more. I believe Lohen still have access to the maps as they are still providing the service, just no longer advertise it as Manic.

I’ve recently took it to Lohen for a de coke and timing chain replacement.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
If you're replacing the turbo it's worth replacing the oil feed and return pipes along with the washers and banjo bolts. The old pipes could be a bit gunged up.

If you get yourself a bluedriver diagnostic tool then you can data log and check your fuelling if you're worried about it going lean. I'm using the data from mine for remapping the car at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts