MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new JCW steering wheel for my R56. I normally prefer full leather but the leather/alcantara one looks very nice too. However, I'm worried about the leather/alcantara one wearing down very quickly.

For those who have this steering wheel, what prompted you to go for the leather/alcantara one (seems to be the majority here) instead of the full leather one?

Best Wishes,
kchika

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Hi Kchika,

Alcantara is a very heard wearing material and is designed for long and prolonged use, so wont wear down quickly at all :)

It also adds a more racey and stylish look to the interior personally! :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I heard alcantara wears and goes shiney but maybe this is a myth or more prone to seats. I went for leather as my seats are leather and hopefully it will wear better. Supposed to be fitting mine this weekend.

They are usually the same price so I would go with whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
^ It does, but only if you're constantly scrubbing and twisting your hands etc on it really, like on a race car. Just keep it in good condition by cleaning/treating it every so often. If you don't hold the wheel at the top anyway, rather the sides where the leather is you won't really have to worry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought the Alcantara one and wish I had got the all-leather. The grip of skin on Alcantara isn't that good until you grip quite firmly, when the slightly squishy rim also helps give good grip. That's with dry hands - dip your hands in water and they feel absolutely glued to the Alcantara. I think the Alcantara is a styling choice - sure it's used on racing wheels, but then they are being gripped by drivers with gloved hands which is completely different.

I know it's a slob's driving technique but, for example, you can't put your palm on the wheel and whirl it around when manoeuvring at slow speed - it will just skid on the Alcantara.

Mind you, the leather used on the JCW wheel doesn't feel very grippy when held lightly - it often feels like it has powder on its surface (which it hasn't). Neither surface has the instant grip of an old British leather wheel, where your palm would really stick to wheel, at least when dry - wet or sweaty hands on those old Brit rims were a bit lethal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just brought a JCW alcantara one and it makes the interior look a lot better - definitly worth the money - you wont regret buying one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts