MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having dabbled in Stage Rallying in the past, we had gone through a range of Rally Cars, with an eye on the budget. This brings issues as you end up spending more time preparing the car and bringing it up to specification that you are happy with than you do rallying.

Having moved into new MINI's for racing we did a deal on a package which meant we managed to get a second challenge car (sold my LOTUS :crying:) with a range of spares.

The idea being stick to common wheels/tyres/suspension/engine for both cars to reduce costs and space for spares etc.

So why a challenge car?

They were run in pretty much road trim, which for a stage car that must be road legal and therefore a car tax'd and MOT'd with full cage, KW suspension, plumbed in extinguisher,race ready is a good starting point.

A race car and a stage rally car are subtly different so it will need the following:

External:

Brake and Fuel lines moved inside
underbody protection including sump and Tank guard
Raise ride hide for tarmac rallying
Mud flaps (compulsory!)

Internal:

2nd hand held extinguisher for co-driver.
FIA in-date seats & Belts
Rally Trip Computer
Nav foot rest
2nd horn button
fixing for 2 spare wheels

So the car with 7,500 miles on the clock (they didn't do much road mileage), some pics:

This will be a 12 mth project as I am off to College for a year, so long term, which won't exclude using to for some track days etc to exploit the 2 seats :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks very pretty! I looked into the idea of preparing one of these myself before, with the FI multiplier and the fact that it would push the car up the classes so much i kinda decided against it, most of the time it would end up in the same field as evos and scoobys, you dont see many FI rally cars below 2 litre for this reason! :tongue_smilie:

Looks the nuts though, good luck with it and keep us posted! :drool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks very pretty! I looked into the idea of preparing one of these myself before, with the FI multiplier and the fact that it would push the car up the classes so much i kinda decided against it, most of the time it would end up in the same field as evos and scoobys, you dont see many FI rally cars below 2 litre for this reason! :tongue_smilie:

Looks the nuts though, good luck with it and keep us posted! :drool:
I am relaxed about the classes as I have found a real range of cars in the classes and drivers which is part of the fun. My wife is rallying (co driving) in a classic 1300 on Sunday with a bloody good driver and he is seeded 45th from 82 as he can drive a bit. We were running a mi16 205 last year and overall we could put it half way up the field, so we will get a bit of fun out of it; there are more made cars in the 1400 class! :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Subscribed!

Not sure if you've seen them before but minisport used to rally an R53 Cooper S too:

More vids here: Minisport.com - YouTube
I saw them I'm Mull when we were rallying our classic mini there and have been in touch reference some parts such as sump guards, tank guards etc. I am hoping to get some help in info from them Daniel Harper is a good peddler but his mini was very trick, his customer cars were nice as well. I am looking round for other experience as well. Thanks for the steer to their videos.

PS I have done those stages on mull - most fun I have had with my clothes on!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am relaxed about the classes as I have found a real range of cars in the classes and drivers which is part of the fun. My wife is rallying (co driving) in a classic 1300 on Sunday with a bloody good driver and he is seeded 45th from 82 as he can drive a bit. We were running a mi16 205 last year and overall we could put it half way up the field, so we will get a bit of fun out of it; there are more made cars in the 1400 class! :)

Fair enoughsky! Completely agree about there being more cars in the sub 1400 class, however they all tend too be reasonably competitive against each other. Just not sure if I'd wanna be pushing a Mini up against proper Group N cars! Looks a fantastic project none the less though, and I'd love one too play with! :drool:

I'm also rallying on Sunday, Premier stages at Sherwood Forest... Where are you/your wife competing?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Fair enoughsky! Completely agree about there being more cars in the sub 1400 class, however they all tend too be reasonably competitive against each other. Just not sure if I'd wanna be pushing a Mini up against proper Group N cars! Looks a fantastic project none the less though, and I'd love one too play with! :drool:

I'm also rallying on Sunday, Premier stages at Sherwood Forest... Where are you/your wife competing?
Missus is in the Carfax at benson and will probably do Rockingham stages.

I thought a lot about options when we sold the 205 but cost was a factor (due to my other expensive habit - racing) and we got a good deal having sold my Elise :)().

My wife has competed mainly in the British historics where it is all about choosing the right class because of the quality of the cars. But in clubman rallying even at National A it's less of an issue. Big fields and decent stages is all we are after.

We were doing a single venue event a couple of years ago and, in a row, in the service area there was our Mini 970s cooper s, an Astra 16v and an ex-works carlos sainz focus - go figure! so class doesn't bother me

To be honest most of the other clubman cars are not my bag, sub 1400 there are a load of 'kit' cars corsas etc, don't do big saloons due to space so MINI it was(common spares wheel size etc) - what are you out in?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a tidy and well put together example. Doesn't look like it's suffered a hard life.
It's very tidy underneath and hasn't had too much panel damage for a single make race series car as it was a front runner and well prepared.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having decided to commute 50 miles in the Rally Car have decided the suspension set-up is a mite too hard for road use as it is still in track configuration and height.

Now looking for a neutral'ish geometry setting so I can relax the shock setting a bit and get it re-corner weighted to give some clearance - anyone got a neutral setting or know what the basic geometry of the challenge cars was when used on stage events? (i know they did some stage rallying as we were on the same rally as them in our mk1 Mini).

Thoughts welcome based on any experience out there.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
You will have to get rid of this suspension for rallying (i am using it too), it's not for road use, you need a suspension with more travel, this is track only.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts