MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, thought i would give people an idea on how to fit one of these after our efforts today. Only need basic tools and some elbow grease so can be done easily enough by some one handy with the tools :thumbup:

Ok then, here's what we did:

1. First things first, make sure you have all the parts and tools you will need. In my case we had the Janspeed Manifold & De-Cat, New Genuine Mini Manifold to Head gasket, and 2x Genuine Mini Cat-Exhaust Gaskets, new set of 17mm Bolts with nuts and washers.

Tool wise we used A trolley Jack, Axle Stands, 1/4" Rachett with sockets, Set of Spanners.

2. Pop the bonnet and remove the following. Coil Pack, Manifold Heatshield, Manifold bolts, Top Lambda Sensor connector. The Manifold Bolts and coil are removed using a 10mm Socket and the Heat Sheild a 13mm Socket. The lambda sensor connector is to the right of the rocker cover (simply follow the wire from the top lambda to the connector)

3. Once all removed, jack the car up as high as you can get and support with axle stands on each side. Next, using a 22mm spanner, remove the bottom lambda from the cat. Once removed, tuck up out the way behind the heatshield.

4. Remove the 2 bolts and nuts connecting the cat from the exhaust system. In my case, this was 2x 17mm bolts but this could be different for yourself. Once removed wiggle the cat to break the seal.

5. The manifold and cat are now ready for removing. This is case of jiggling about the manifold to manouvre around the anti-roll bar. Took us about 2 minutes to get it out, but came eventually. Once out, remove the top lambda from the manifold insert into your new manifold. Ensure to tighten using the 22mm again.

6. Lift the new janspeed manifold into position and insert a bolt through the manifold and new gasket to locate the bolt holes in the head. This is a bit fiddly and is easier with someone supporting the manifold for you from under the car. Once one is located insert the rest, tightening finger tight. Using a 10mm ratchet tighten the bolts.

7. take the de-cat under the car and insert the bottom lambda, once again using a 22mm socket to tighten. once done, connect the de-cat between the manilfold and exhaust system usint the new 17mm bolts and nuts with new gaskets. tighten equally.

8. Lower the carback onto its wheels and replace the coil pack and manifold heatshield. Insert keys and start allowing car to idle steadily before revving it. whilst its doing this, check for leaks.

9. Crack a beer open and kick back and admire your efforts :thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks man. I`m going to get this printed off :thumbup1: If it doesnt go according to plan though i`ll sue you.

:tongue_smilie:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, if you need any help, drop me a pm and i'll try and help over the phone if i can :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I considered doing this job on axle stands but chickened out after lifting it thinking it i wouldn't have enough clearance to manoeuvre the manifolds out/in.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
good write up mate ive done this several times now and id like to say that superglueing the gasket to the manifold before you start makes getting the head bolts in MUCH easier.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
good write up mate ive done this several times now and id like to say that superglueing the gasket to the manifold before you start makes getting the head bolts in MUCH easier.
You can also get 2 studs an bolts.. Fit them at either side off the head then hang the gasket on an then place the manifold on the studs then just bolt them 2 up an your away!

Saves loads off time!

·
Farmer boy!
3,846 Posts
You can also get 2 studs an bolts.. Fit them at either side off the head then hang the gasket on an then place the manifold on the studs then just bolt them 2 up an your away!

Saves loads off time!
Thats how we fit most types of gasket on the shit farms, so much easier than faffing about putting grease on them or trying to stick them on!

Good thread tho, if it wasnt for the fact that I will just ring up mave and go "can you help me pliz" i would find this dead useful :p

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Interesting point here, when you replaced the heat shield did it just go on no probs? because when i did mine i had to take a set of tin snips to it in order for it to fit?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Good write up. I am thinking of giving this a go myself. Need to get the gasket's for the mani and de-cat.
Did you use any gasket sealer? Any idea of best please to get the gasket's I need.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I didn't use any sealer for the manifold..make sure that the bolts are tight..take it for a test drive and check the bolts again..enjoy your new mani :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts