MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we are.

I owned a JCW Clubman previously, had it a few years spent a lot of time and money on it and also did around 85,000 miles in it.

So fresh one - actually know this car from 2016 when my friend bought it from the dealership. So I’m the third owner. Did all the modifications with him also so also know the state of the motor.

Spec -

JCW Clubman 2011 ‘61’
Eclipse Grey.
Africa spec. - literally has chilli pack and that’s it.

Engine -
Wossner oversized pistons.
ZRP rods.
ARP mains and head bolts.
Gaskets rebuilt as per 2017.
Airtec intercooler.
AEM intake.
EVO X plugs.
GFB diverter.
New injectors 04/2021.
Decat.
New turbo - 02/2021.

Drivetrain -
Helix 6 paddle
Quaife Diff.
Lower engine mount ‘black series’

Chassis/Suspension -
MeisterR ZRD+
Unknown rear arms.
Alignment by Deutschtech.

Brakes -
Brembo drilled/grooved discs
Ferodo DS3000
ATE200

Wheels -
Compomotive M05 ET35.
215/45/17 AD08RS.

How I collected it -

Rubber band tyres, really low and relatively unusable.

Ordered some proper tyres, the internet says the AD08RS’ are terrible so I ordered those. At the ride height the car was it just caught everywhere. So raised it and got it aligned at Deutschtech.
-2.5 front camber (as much as it’ll give) 0 toe
-1.5 rear camber and 0 toe.

Went and did an evening session with the lads from Garage Midnight at Snetterton, first time at this track. At the time it was on new pads and discs but only OE replacements so I could squeeze 1.5 laps in before losing the pedal - it was also around 28/29 degrees ambient but the car managed no bother.

Then fit DS3000 and ATE fluid, drove the car a little more and the gearbox decided 2nd gear was no longer an option so sourced a second hand unit and swapped it out.

Somewhere in the midst of all that I found some flat face M05’s and got them mounted with the AD08’s

Then onto Donington this Monday just gone

Had a great ‘battle’ with the E92 in one of the photos, his car was completely stock and I think he didn’t have much confidence but it was a great 6-7 laps of pure flat out chasing. Great fun. Could do 15-20 minute stints and the car would happily take it, only getting slight brake fade towards the end of the session as you can see with the glowing discs it’s getting warm.

From here, I need a proper seat. Holding myself up isn’t really working well and it is slowing down the fun on track. Brake cooling, I’ve seen a lot of kits but none feed the correct part of the disc they just cool one whole side rather than feeding the veins. Also probably could do with an oil cooler, just as a precaution for when playing out in the warmer days.

Other than that I’ll just continue using it, would be good to refine the suspension more. Maybe better spring rates and a RARB.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Very nice.
Personal preference I prefer the earlier wheels and no screen sunstrip.
A cheap adjustable rear arb will make a huge difference but yeah you definitely need a seat that holds you.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I had a similar set up on my clubby
I had the hard race rear arb and loved the set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looking good and you've done some good work there, I think I'm the same reference the wheels albeit the second ones don't look bad at all.
Nice to see another mini on the track, how did you find Donington, it's meant to be a good track for the Mini?
I have stock suspension still but Whiteline rear roll bar and it made a good difference 👌🏼

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people seem to prefer the Rota’s but I don’t really enjoy having TE37 replicas, plus every Corsa, Fiesta and other chav chariot has them or the Bola version. As I love and grew up watching rallying the M05’s were a no brainer, they’re just not the colour I want at the moment but I’m just using the car rather than being overly fussed about aesthetics.

I want to up the spring rates to 10/8 and look into the RARB. I’ll try the bar first as I think it’ll help it rotate better on the nose, after I’ve found and fitted a seat.

·
Shed Driver
1,164 Posts
A lot of people seem to prefer the Rota’s but I don’t really enjoy having TE37 replicas, plus every Corsa, Fiesta and other chav chariot has them or the Bola version.
The Bola B10's look like Comp MO5 reps though, so you're still cool with the 18 year olds outside Maccers ;)

If it helps, i love the Comps. Had them on this old shitbox ...

Would happily have some on my clubbie.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A lot of people seem to prefer the Rota’s but I don’t really enjoy having TE37 replicas, plus every Corsa, Fiesta and other chav chariot has them or the Bola version. As I love and grew up watching rallying the M05’s were a no brainer, they’re just not the colour I want at the moment but I’m just using the car rather than being overly fussed about aesthetics.

I want to up the spring rates to 10/8 and look into the RARB. I’ll try the bar first as I think it’ll help it rotate better on the nose, after I’ve found and fitted a seat.
Re: spring rates, I've just bought some BC Racing DS coilovers and went with the 8kg f/r setup. Having looked at so many others, not many come out the box more than that. My STX coilovers are a pretty soft progressive 5kg on the front and 4kg on the back. I did wonder if I'd bitten off too much with 8/8. Won't 10s on the front be like concrete? Which coilovers were you thinking? Love the look of the car and defo I'm with the M05s! 👍

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Bola B10's look like Comp MO5 reps though, so you're still cool with the 18 year olds outside Maccers ;)

If it helps, i love the Comps. Had them on this old shitbox ...

Would happily have some on my clubbie.
The price of a good VTR/S is insane now.

M05’s and Compomotive’s always make me think of early group A rallying. The M05’s in particular with the likes of the Legacy rally cars.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: spring rates, I've just bought some BC Racing DS coilovers and went with the 8kg f/r setup. Having looked at so many others, not many come out the box more than that. My STX coilovers are a pretty soft progressive 5kg on the front and 4kg on the back. I did wonder if I'd bitten off too much with 8/8. Won't 10s on the front be like concrete? Which coilovers were you thinking? Love the look of the car and defo I'm with the M05s!
Mines currently on 5kg all the way round, I mostly want the car to turn in better hence the want for a RARB but also the Quaife diff is a bit limp and still will 1 wheel spin out of a corner like the last chicane at Donny so was thinking it may be better having something stiffer to make it more level.

Will have a read of the ‘Bible’ Race Car vehicle dynamics and see what it says. Although everything comes with a compromise.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts

M05’s and Compomotive’s always make me think of early group A rallying. The M05’s in particular with the likes of the Legacy rally cars.
I had a VTS nearly 20 years ago ish. Think I paid about £2k ish. Good little car.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
817 Posts
Love tJPayne, post: 2508918, member: 89995"]

[/QUOTE]
Love the car mate, Im a bit of an OEM creature so black R112's and no sunshade it'd be 100% a bit of me 🤜🤛

God I have always had a massive hankering for a VTS, mate at uni had one and I drove it a couple of times and even now jesus for an NA 1.6 was that thing bloody rapid! Goes to show what a decent NA 1.6 16v motor in a sub ton body can do 👍👍👍 always prefered them to the 106 too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts