MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents ,

I've found a small add about two JCW- recaro seats .
But I don't know from which MINI model they come :
Brown Plant Auto part Tints and shades Composite material

Do you think it can fit in a R53 ( with or without adaptation ) or are they too wide ... ?
The price ( before discussion ) is 900 euros . Is it correct ?

Thanks for your feedback

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
8,043 Posts
yes r53/56 and bite their hands off before they change their minds and lift the price to 1800 euros, go in your car with cash in your hands and collect today.

they might even sell in the uk market for over 2000 euros if you were happy to wait a little while for the right buyer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ,

Thanks to all of you ,guys , for your feedback .

I'm wondering if the driving position is similar to the stock seats ? I've read somewhere that the driving position was higher , thus not so " sporty " as the stock seats . Is it true ?

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,439 Posts
I think they do feel a bit high from memory, not less sporty though because they still have the support etc

·
Registered
95 Posts
That’s an awesome price if there are no issues with them. About 7 years ago a new set was around $4,500 USD including shipping, tax, customs, and other fees.

They do sit noticeably higher, even when using the lower mounting holes, which looks like where those are at. It’s something I notice every time I get in the car, but the seats are so comfortable and good looking that it’s almost completely forgotten. I did look under the seat and I don’t think there’s enough clearance to drill a lower set of mounting holes… maybe if some of the carpet padding is removed, but it I didn’t look that far yet.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
There do sit slightly higher but not too much. In fact my wife cannot drive the MINI with them fitted as she cannot adjust the height unlike the standard seats, so shows they are not much higher. They bolt straight into the standard mounting points and fit with absolutely no issues on the width. You will need to adapt the airbag plug to fit into the socket on the car as MINI used a different connector between R50/R53 and the R56, but that's not much of an issue. I actually bought some second hand plugs and sockets from a scrap yard and made a converter from the car plug to the seat socket which means not having to modify anything from standard.

In the first picture you will see the Recaro compared to the standard seat.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Seat belt

·
Registered
95 Posts
Feeling the difference in seating height might depend on where you had the stock seats set. I had the stock seats set at the lowest setting and the Recaro’s feel noticeably higher to me when using the lower mounting holes.

Did you also have your stock seats at their lowest setting? Also, while not practical to change between drivers, have you ever tried the higher mounting setting for your wife?

I wonder if the two height options on the Recaro’s fall between the total range of adjustment for the stock seats and anyone using the stock seats at the extremes will be more affected by this.

BTW, jealous that yours have the 1st gen JCW logo. Those were no longer available when I purchased mine so I’m stuck with the updated JCW logo in my R53. :(

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Yeah I usually had the stock seats at the lowest setting so I guess the Recaros would feel a little higher but I never played around with the height adjustment on them. To me the Recaros gave such a good feel when settled in them that the small height difference was soon forgotten about.

I think I was lucky with the logo's I guess lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts