MiniTorque.com banner

Is Direnza a good option?

12K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  Spidermonkey 
#1 ·
Hi, I already have the 15% pulley and Orranje intake installed on my R53.I already have the electronics, but since I only have the original exhaust they have put Stage 1. For Stage 2 I need an exhaust.

Is Direnza a good quality-price option? I really like the sound of the exhaust

#4 ·
stage?

what crap 😂

the stock exhaust will handle 250hp+,

the Direnza is a copy of the Milltek and has a similar muted sound, ok for the price of them, the centre res can become noisy as I've heard on a few but no big deal, actually one of the better sounding budget shiny systems if left with the res fitted, that will let you run a de-cat without being too obvious sound wise,

the mention of stage suggests you're using a generic map? If so I wouldn't trust it at all tbh but that's me, been there, done that, and seen the map tables for it proving what little was changed in comparison to stock, and how far off it was when run up live on the dyno, never good especially with a pulley.

I'd get a cam in there, if a generic map is in it I'd sack that off, and get a custom map to actually protect your motor, if you don't want to change to a better map I'd still add a cam, just opt for a Newman PH1/2 which I can help with, or Catcam street cam perhaps, either to enjoy a stronger low to mid range still opening up the top end a bit more ;O)

Otherwise dependent on your use there are a few fast road options that have a bit more up top perhaps, Newman PH2 being the next up that runs the smoothest out of those available with the highest lift for example, it will also run with no map but you should get it done as it will exacerbate issues up top (4.5k+) if left.

#8 ·
stage?

what crap 😂

the stock exhaust will handle 250hp+,

the Direnza is a copy of the Milltek and has a similar muted sound, ok for the price of them, the centre res can become noisy as I've heard on a few but no big deal, actually one of the better sounding budget shiny systems if left with the res fitted, that will let you run a de-cat without being too obvious sound wise,

the mention of stage suggests you're using a generic map? If so I wouldn't trust it at all tbh but that's me, been there, done that, and seen the map tables for it proving what little was changed in comparison to stock, and how far off it was when run up live on the dyno, never good especially with a pulley.

I'd get a cam in there, if a generic map is in it I'd sack that off, and get a custom map to actually protect your motor, if you don't want to change to a better map I'd still add a cam, just opt for a Newman PH1/2 which I can help with, or Catcam street cam perhaps, either to enjoy a stronger low to mid range still opening up the top end a bit more ;O)

Otherwise dependent on your use there are a few fast road options that have a bit more up top perhaps, Newman PH2 being the next up that runs the smoothest out of those available with the highest lift for example, it will also run with no map but you should get it done as it will exacerbate issues up top (4.5k+) if left.
Thanks !

#6 ·
I 've had a Miltek on my car for around 7 years now. I don't know the price difference between Direnza and Miltek but it's been faultless. I have a Dave F, -15% pulley, GP intercooler and the upgraded bypass valve. It made 193 whp at 1320. So approx 221 bhp on standard cam and map.

#10 ·
one of the cars I just sold had one, it's 'very' alike the Milltek just with slightly different joints etc, pipe sizing is the same, both are S/S, one is twice the price and a brand name different, the dearer one also has quality issues just as people have written about in the past, people pay just as much for other noisy systems which do nothing for power, just as at 205hp a Milltek or Direnza will do nothing really great here. A manifold might, and I wonder if that's what they mean, I'd change that before a cat back all day long, but that's just me ;O) Pops and bangs isn't power, that clip might appeal to those liking that racket haha, if noise matters to you more then carry on, I wouldn't want the noise or shockwaves personally. If you want performance, my 2p is as above. Drop a cam in and with a good motor you can be at 240+ easy enough just getting it mapped elsewhere properly imo.

Reactions: James_RP
#15 ·
Just to echo what carsorbikes said in post 4 regards generic maps, cams etc this is my experience

My car was rolling roaded at 208bhp with an 11% pulley and milltek centre pipe/toyosport backbox combo as well as a ‘stage 2’ superchip bluefin, their take on stages is stage 1 for pretty much stock cars (Will give approx 8bhp extra) and stage 2 for cars with bigger intercooler, smaller pulley etc (will give approx 40bhp more)

not long after the rolling road was done the gearbox went and the car went to captain camshaft, sorry carsorbikes, who under pain of death encouraged me to get a cam fitted too while the engine was out doing the gearbox, after I’d picked up my teeth from his drive after initially refusing he fitted it for me and it’s made a world of difference, however when it went back to the same rolling road to see what power I had gained the car lost 2bhp on the generic stage 2 map, a quick call to Superchips to explain the situation and they sent me an unmarketed ‘stage 3’ program which had been developed for cars with an updated cam alongside the bigger intercooler etc, another rolling road run and the BHP had gone back up to 218, the cam giving me 10bhp more and a lot more free revving top end

Since then the car has had a 15% pulley fitted by Sean as well as a 2nd hand full milltek system which having changed from a cheap system to that is a lot quieter than before which is how I like it for my daily drive (hence why the non resonated pipe on the toyosport was swapped for a resonated milltek pipe)

then to top it off last week the cat went so I’ve got myself a sport manifold and decat pipe to go with the milltek, I’m hoping it’s not going to be too loud though, I’ve got it booked in for another power run on the same rolling road in early September to see what gains I will (hopefully) get with the milltek, 15% pulley and sport manifold fitted

then it’s a trip to 1320 with my 550 injectors for a custom remap, but I can see that being early next year now!

#19 ·
I figure with alot of these things you tend to get what you pay for.

I only went aftermarket with mine as I didn't want to spend the thick end of 800 quid for the OE catback, that of course would be mild steel and just rot out again in several years.....pattern exhausts for these things are a real mixed bag and still not what you'd call cheap in most cases.

I ended up going Milltek as they tend to be looked on favourably by the community and cost wise it was just about acceptable. I did nearly go Scorpion but it appeared to be more expensive and thinner diameter (2.25 inch vs 2.5 of the Milltek) so I bit the Milltek bullet.

Haven't been disappointed so far, mine is non res so it can be a bit too noisy on cold start and at full chat for my liking but on the whole its pleasant enough and am pleased with it...as it's gotten more coked up the sound has improved IMHO...was very loud and a bit raspy to begin with but definitely got better with use. I think the res system would have been too quiet. Has been on the car about a year now with no issues.

I cant comment on Direnza but if it is much a cheaper copy of a Milltek I'd probably avoid it and go for the real thing...or at least a well regarded big brand exhaust.

#20 ·
I ended up going Milltek as they tend to be looked on favourably by the community and cost wise it was just about acceptable. I did nearly go Scorpion but it appeared to be more expensive and thinner diameter (2.25 inch vs 2.5 of the Milltek) so I bit the Milltek bullet
I’d keep an eye on on ebay for a decent branded 2nd hand exhaust, my milltek cost me £250 delivered, full resonated system and it’s been faultless

As it happens I’ve got a full scorpion system on the convertible mini one that again 2nd hand off eBay only cost £150

there are bargains to be had out there, luckily I fell on my feet twice with both exhausts at less than or around the price if a new budget one

#22 ·
the manifold/downpipe is one and the same on these, it is worth changing, ideally for a good one which is subject to opinion naturally. Engine response can differ with various types, not necessarily by huge amounts but enough to feel, some in the mid or upper mid range, others from lower, some right at the top, affected by other changes obviously. This part of the exhaust supports any cam change really but like everything, becomes part of a package that if considered and either in the right order or not always the cheapest possible way, can support nice reliable, tractable and very useable power.

A tomcat if unaware is just a stock (OEM only) main cat cut out and flanges welded on to make a bolt in cat to replace de-cat sections supplied with some aftermarket manifolds, but actually originally made afaik as an alternative for repeatedly failing Janspeed sport cats. Milltek sport cats also fail and are worse being part of the pipe. The Tomcat nicknamed such when Tom at 1320 did it I believe.

It's proven a good substitute because the stock OEM cat is robust that's all, it itself doesn't make any power, it's only a cat option that just lasts well, and helps replace some back pressure lost to some crap exhaust choices. That is it.

Refitting a cat for some has proved to recover some performance, not make any as such. Not too dissimilar to intercoolers, they don't make power so much as help avoid losing some.

The result of this has developed into a belief by some that all cars make more power with a cat. As this has spread online I think it a bit misleading, folk don't know or tell others everything, it would be fairer to share just that these engines like 'some' back pressure which is the crux of it, those running noisy open exhaust cat backs can expect to lose some performance by also running a de-cat, it's as simple as that. Well almost, other spec also affects outcome. Choose a more sensible muted sound or sized exhaust cat back perhaps which will most likely passively hold some back pressure, and the engine will more likely tolerate a de-cat and still return good if not better performance, whilst also quite likely remaining able to pass some track noise tests other set ups can and do fail. Having a cat might just mean a slightly better 'off idle' response and that's all.

Both scenarios coupled with some earlier recommendations will only ever be truly optimised a custom map. That's just my view.

Fwiw my own car ran for IDK, 7 years now maybe? With no cat, currently around ~235whp+. It's a bit raspy without a cat accelerating, with quite a bark, on a JCW system.

#29 ·
I have been told that I need a Downpipe without the catalyst to be able to load Stage 2 (220hp) with the exhaust it would not gain more power.

I now have Stage 1 (205cv) Pulley 15% + Orranje Admission
you haven't even got a cam in it yet, so in my opinion what you're being told isn't right. I doubt it's likely going to get 15hp more just off a manifold and de-cat with only your existing pulley and intake fitted, and already having given you some 40hp, if that is actually accurate and a safe tune. These parts have given you their best already, if this mapper did tune another 15 out of it I'd expect the engine would be screaming for help at a guess. I recommend you add a performance cam next, which will help you get over 220hp quite easily, then fit a good manifold, then it could support a cam very well in the mid range and top end. A good cam will bring almost as big a power hike as the pulley tuned correctly. So, as above consider getting it custom mapped, ideally somewhere else, with the above and a good motor there is potential for ~230 to ~240hp quite realistically.

One can lead a horse to water etc.

#31 ·
A note on the Direnza as I have a 2nd hand one on mine, needed to replace the Klarius OE spec exhaust that the previous owner had fitted a year earlier and was already failing.

MOT was coming up and I wanted to replace with stainless so it lasts, and it just so happened there was a Direnza not far away and for a great price so took a punt. Didn't add any power that I could notice, just a deeper note and louder pops than standard already had.

#37 ·
I have a direnza on mine, it looks great, sounds great but I don’t think it would add any power.
I only bought the Direnza because it was very cheap and needed an exhaust to get through the MOT.
My titanium exhaust had developed a crack on the ‘Y’ pipe and needed a small weld and I still haven’t gotten around to getting it fixed (Ti is a bitch to weld without the correct equipment).
To be fair the Direnza has been excellent and I will probably stay with it, if it starts to fail then I will switch back to my other exhaust (once fixed).

#39 ·
yes you have a picture? or yes you have a chrono kit oil pressure reading of 4? :unsure:

Reactions: Dave^
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.