MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted a larger after market intercooler to me R53 took it for a spin and the engine got really hot and the fan came on. Its never done that before so fitted the original cooler back and took it for a spin again and it didn't get so hot that the fan came on. Any one got any ideas what the problem was? Hope its not the intercooler but it seems likely seeing it appears to be ok with the original.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
The fan comes on with water temp.
The fan coming on is a good thing. Could you have been driving it harder or stuck in traffic more than the other runs?
Have you got a Scanguage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, not really thrashing it just putting my foot down for short bursts where the road permits. What is a Scangauge? I will leave the stock intercooler on to see how it goes. I have a 17% reduction pulley and cooler running plugs but this shouldn't cause a problem surely. And I thought the larger intercooler would be better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply, not really thrashing it just putting my foot down for short bursts where the road permits. What is a Scangauge? I will leave the stock intercooler on to see how it goes. I have a 17% reduction pulley and cooler running plugs but this shouldn't cause a problem surely. And I thought the larger intercooler would be better.
» ScanGauge II

·
Registered
121 Posts
I could be wrong but I can't imagine many people put on a 17% pulley to potter about. You're going to want to use the power.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,480 Posts
I was told by orange that a 17% pulley and colder plugs would be ok with the standard cooler as long as I didn't do any track days ok for every day driving. What would you recommend ?
Honestly, the only thing I can recommend is the GRS intercooler. The GP is also excellent but priced out of reach. Everything else either doesn't fit or bits break off

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fitting cheap, so called “hobo“, intercoolers is a waste of time and money, they have poor air flow and temp recovery rates. The standard cooler core it’s a much better design, bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which "larger after market intercooler" have you got?
I bought it off ebay it was cheap (against the top makes) but was told the standard cooler should cope so I thought a larger one ( although probably not top quality) would be ok to fit and give some improvement. I am thinking of purchasing a scangauge to keep an eye on temps anybody have any experiences with these?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Honestly, the only thing I can recommend is the GRS intercooler. The GP is also excellent but priced out of reach. Everything else either doesn't fit or bits break off
A GP intercooler settled at a shade under £650 on everyone’s favourite auction site today, very pricey indeed.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
still worth it if in very nice condition, some are now rough but not all bidding (that aren't shill bids) would care,

big lumpy I/C's aren't worth having imo, saying that I'd quite like to have a go with a Pro Alloy job just out of curiosity,

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,480 Posts
I include that one in the category of bits snapping off. Most innovative design in ages though

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
still worth it if in very nice condition, some are now rough but not all bidding (that aren't shill bids) would care,

big lumpy I/C's aren't worth having imo, saying that I'd quite like to have a go with a Pro Alloy job just out of curiosity,
You won't lose (much) money if you can pick on up s/h and resell it once you've tested it (assuming it doesn't break).

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
As a wild stab in the dark. You could have had an inlet air leak, which means the ECU would pull a lot of ignition timing at idle, which would increase the coolant temp. The car would feel noticeably slower if that was the case

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I dont think there's enough of a price difference these days to not go for the GRS. You're right though. The Airtec does work, no doubt about it
GRS arent immune to bits falling off either. The diverter fell off my GRS Motorsport one.

There was virtually no difference between my GRS and Airtec in terms of temp performance from what I remember, If i was buying a top mount again I'd happily go for either

1 - 20 of 20 Posts