MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I want to insulate the floor of mini...Actually i will start from the seats position that i have removed and later i will put some more on the floor-trunk.

While i am searching for the "very" best solution im in between 3 brands.

Dynamat Europe | Acoustic and Thermal Solutions
SoundSkins | SoundSkins Global | #ThinkBiggerThinkBetter
Home
http://www.ctk.eu.com/
Any of you have cna compare or have something to say for any of those brands? Pros?Cons?

1 bad thing that i have to say according soundskins is that they dont seems to have different thickness of foils...And i want to insulate the car but dont want to add +30-50kg....
But dynamat+ctk have more than 1 product in order to use light or heavy etc..

Please give me some hints so i can decide easier in which product i will go for

Thank you all

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always use dynamat either the extreme or the superlite versions, and buy in bulk from eBay.

it’s also worth looking at some closed cell foam to place over the top.

are you doing it for car audio reasons or just want a generally quieter vehicle?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I find this guy good from a car audio point of view

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im doing it because i want a quieter vehicle....I removed my back seats and probably i will cut also some points also..So i want to do some LIGHT +better than before insulation..
Thank you also for the link.I will look some of his video i might also learn something that might help me too

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although I did do the floor in my R58 I did find that the carpet was really thick with foam, so should be good anyway.

areas to try and do the most on are:
Wheel arches - also look at using normal tyres instead of run flats
Doors - outer skin of doors and also back of door cards
Boot floor
As high up behind the dash as you can get
Roof - rain (in the UK at least) sound totally different now

any cables try and use cloth tape to stop them rattling.

you should also notice a difference with the temperature in the car. It will stop the sun heating it up too much over in Greece :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used Dynamat Xtreme in my last Mini. It worked really well. I also did the front doors, they sounded like the doors to a Bentley, when I shut them! (y) :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheel arches - also look at using normal tyres instead of run flats
You mean to put on the arches outside the car or inside the car?

Doors - outer skin of doors and also back of door cards
Yes i'm thinking about 2 ...thinking the weight though...

Boot floor
intended to do!

As high up behind the dash as you can get
Yes i'm thinking about 2 ...thinking the weight though...

Roof - rain (in the UK at least) sound totally different now
No need because it will add enough weight and will cause my height kg ration above the road to go up.!

any cables try and use cloth tape to stop them rattling.
Nice little tip..Thank you

you should also notice a difference with the temperature in the car. It will stop the sun heating it up too much over in Greece :)
Yes...however its not a daily car i dont care that much about it.
I used Dynamat Xtreme in my last Mini. It worked really well. I also did the front doors, they sounded like the doors to a Bentley, when I shut them! (y) :)
Xtreme also at doors? Or some foam orsmthing?

I will put Xtreme ont at back seats and the rest like...

Rear side panels,doors,floor IF i will do any of them i will use LitePro and not XTreme cause of the weight.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Rear side panels,doors,floor IF i will do any of them i will use LitePro and not XTreme cause of the weight.
use closed cell foam over the top of the dynamat wherever there is space
Something like this:

The thicker the better, but try and keep it in as large a section as you can, any gaps will let sound through.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already order some sheets of foam.Thx! and after i will remove all the back panels etc etc i will start figure out where and how will i put them...And if then i see that i need some more i will order some more dynamat+ 1 roll of 3mm X 5m that i have found!.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Xtreme inside the door cavities. Just make sure you wipe the inside of the door cavities with white spirit, to remove the wax applied at the factory.
Once I had finish with the Xtreme, I reapplied some wax to ensure corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Xtreme inside the door cavities. Just make sure you wipe the inside of the door cavities with white spirit, to remove the wax applied at the factory.
Once I had finish with the Xtreme, I reapplied some wax to ensure corrosion resistance.
prolite is 30% lighter and 30% down to performance...70% its ok for me..Thats the problem when you trying to make a track+show car :/

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
On my R53 I put soundproofing also behind the rear speakers. From the speaker holes you can also get to the top of the wheel wells and add some Dynamat there. I've been thinking of adding some sort of soundproofing under the weel wells too.

On the R53 with a rear seat delete a lot of noise seems to be coming from the air vents below the rear hatch. Not sure what can be done with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On my R53 I put soundproofing also behind the rear speakers. From the speaker holes you can also get to the top of the wheel wells and add some Dynamat there. I've been thinking of adding some sort of soundproofing under the weel wells too.

On the R53 with a rear seat delete a lot of noise seems to be coming from the air vents below the rear hatch. Not sure what can be done with that.
Thank you for your time Jko..
I will put in ANY spot thats possible the xtreme+litpro+closed cell foam with maximum of 8-10kg in total im not going to put more weight than that....So we will see where and how i will proceed.

As for the air vents of the rear hatch...you mean these??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts