MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've probably done something really daft but this is driving me nuts.
Swapped out my sons alcantara wheel for the original on his R56 JCW and now car cranks but won't fire. It has to be related to this as it has never failed before and failure occurred immediately following the swap.
Steps were, isolated battery ( earth removal) , remove airbag module, disconnect airbag and multifunction plugs , swap wheel and redo all steps.
I've swapped the wheel twice before and never had any issue.
Launch Scanner shows no fault codes.
Only thing I can't be sure of is did I have key in ignition when battery terminal was dis and re connected, could that have caused a voltage spike and damage.
Tried spare key in case immob circuit faulty, same.
Please, is there anything obvious I need to check re lack of firing, I'm not great at diy but can usually follow idiot proof instruction. ( and I mean idiot ! )
All replies gratefully received.
Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi
I've probably done something really daft but this is driving me nuts.
Swapped out my sons alcantara wheel for the original on his R56 JCW and now car cranks but won't fire. It has to be related to this as it has never failed before and failure occurred immediately following the swap.
Steps were, isolated battery ( earth removal) , remove airbag module, disconnect airbag and multifunction plugs , swap wheel and redo all steps.
I've swapped the wheel twice before and never had any issue.
Launch Scanner shows no fault codes.
Only thing I can't be sure of is did I have key in ignition when battery terminal was dis and re connected, could that have caused a voltage spike and damage.
Tried spare key in case immob circuit faulty, same.
Please, is there anything obvious I need to check re lack of firing, I'm not great at diy but can usually follow idiot proof instruction. ( and I mean idiot ! )
All replies gratefully received.
Mike
I'm not going to be of much use as I've never swapped it before.. But on pelican parts it does say do not attempt to do the swap with the key in the Ignition. Think it can throw the airbag into a fault code. Maybe your scanner doesn't pick it up?

Are there fuses related to the ignition?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm just not sure if key was in ignition so I will check fuses ( if anyone can direct me to most likely ones that will help)
Scanner def said airbag module ok.
Again thanks for any help.
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well thanks for that :)
I've checked voltage at pin3 on coil packs, only 0.3v instead of 12v , so no wonder it's not firing.
I'll be trawling YouTube for further diagnostic help tonight but again, any replies are welcome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought I had already replied to this post?.. or maybe i did on another forum? - strange case of dejavu...

but either way.. like my suggestion before and above - now you've confirmed it appears to be electrical in nature.. i'd start with checking the fuse and the relay that covers that.. I don't have a reference diagram at hand - but usually there is a relay related to the digital electronics control unit/ignition coil and there is a fuse that covers this.. let me see if i can find anything

·
Registered
39 Posts
here you go - this might be helpful:

From the details on that post - I'd check:

Engine compartment fusebox:
F2 20A Digital engine electronics control unit/Ignition coil/Cylinder 1-4 fuel injection valves/Crankshaft position sensor (From K6300 87)
FL2 50A Feed to F1, F2, F3, F4, F19, F20, F21, F22, F23, F24, F25, F26, F27, F28, F37 (BC1, steering angle sensor, clock, instrument cluster, navigation, on-board monitor, wash/wipe, horn, audio system.)
F02 20A ECM, ignition coil, fuel injectors, crank position sensor
F03 15A Engine control
F04 15A Engine control

Passenger side fusebox:
F24 5A Electronic immobilizer control unit/Horn for antitheft alarm system EWS
F34 10A Digital engine electronics control unit direct and via K96/Eng management main relay

MCS Only - Luggage compartment fusebox (M.Cooper / M.One direct battery feed)
F100 250A Feed to FL1, FL2, FL4, FL5, FL6, FL7, FL8, FL9, FL10, FL11, FL12, F1, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, K6300

IDs for Relays / Location
K6300 DME Main Relay / Engine compartment fusebox

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Pangster, great info, I'll get on it tomorrow.
I think there are sister forums that use same logins hence duplicate postings.
Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheers Pangster, great info, I'll get on it tomorrow.
I think there are sister forums that use same logins hence duplicate postings.
Cheers, Mike
LOL!! - no worries!! - i thought i was going crazy for a minute!! (I'm on both forums as well! ;) )

Good luck with it!!.. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to struggle to test relay function, the K6300 relay could def be a contender for the problem.
As I've never dealt with relay replacement forgive the noob question... where do you get hold of a K6300 relay? It would seem logical if I can't test their function just to replace with new and see what happens.
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to reply re buying relay , simple Google search helped BUT, does the car have more than one type of K6300 relay that I could swap with to see if I can get the damned thing started, i.e. The relays anywhere else in the car that don't interfere with the engine starting procedure .

·
Registered
39 Posts
No need to reply re buying relay , simple Google search helped BUT, does the car have more than one type of K6300 relay that I could swap with to see if I can get the damned thing started, i.e. The relays anywhere else in the car that don't interfere with the engine starting procedure .
I'm not too familiar with Mini electrics to be honest.. but this is exactly what I did on an MR2 I used to have (swapped the relays around).. I
ll let someone with more knowledge or experience with Mini's answer

·
Registered
39 Posts

cross referencing RealOEM - it seems to suggest RElay K21 (for electric fan) is interchangeable?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A well, tried all fuses and swapped K6300 relays and no joy.
My gut feeling is this is either an immobiliser or ECU fault and the way bills have been coming in with this car I'm just going to get rid of it.
So for those thinking of buying R56s take my advice... either buy a bulletproof warranty covering Everything or just save yourself a ton of grief and get a later model F56.
Thanks to all who replied esp Pangster.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A well, tried all fuses and swapped K6300 relays and no joy.
My gut feeling is this is either an immobiliser or ECU fault and the way bills have been coming in with this car I'm just going to get rid of it.
So for those thinking of buying R56s take my advice... either buy a bulletproof warranty covering Everything or just save yourself a ton of grief and get a later model F56.
Thanks to all who replied esp Pangster.
sorry you didn't manage to get to the bottom of it... did you try reverting the steering wheel back to the alcantara one?

If it's not the fuses or relay then the only other suggestion i would have is that there is an issue with the ground or signal wire to the coils..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, put everything back together the way it was and no joy, I was preparing the car for sale anyway and this is the wee bstd getting its final revenge 😠. A simple earth fault would be a joy !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a Launch CRP 129E
It's caught most of the fault codes over the last few months and helped greatly when the alternator regulator failed ( again) and threw up 4 valuable codes, same with ABS sensor fail.
I'm going to try and contact a mobile auto electrician with more ( a lot more) experience than me to save the cost and hassle of recovery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts