MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously the warm weather is prompting this thread, but, the IAT's this week are doing my tits in!
hasnt gone below 30, and maxed at 62..Usual driving is around 40c
Ive got the M7 Ram scoop and a GRS as far as cooling goes.
What else can I do, that isnt a meth kit, as thats on the list, but not for a while.
Been looking into bonnet louvres, manifold wrapping, some spaceage heat shield matting...is any of it worth it??

What everyone been seeing? its the worst part of my Mini at the moment!:cursing:

Thanks

·
Chillin'
703 Posts
Seeing 27 degrees at high motorway speeds when outside was 20 today. That's with a 17% pulley and GP intercooler.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Need rid of the GRS mate, it Just won't cool down quick enough like the GP will , the core is too thick! Was very happy once i got my GP intercooler.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
does anyone know exactly how the stock ecu handles IAT temp, for example what temp does it starts to make changes at? does it vary with coolant temp or anything else? and what changes it actually does? i've read it both reduced timing and advance and increases fuelling, does it really do both, and at the same temp or one before the other? is it the same for all maps including JCW ?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I think it just Pulls timing , which in turns means its running richer as there's less timing .. it does this at 50c. Charge cooler is only effective if you can keep on the move as it needs the air to cool the pre rad for the water! GP intercooler is more than capable, thin core so quick for the recovery rate and flows well, its just a shame the price of them have gone up !

·
MT's Naughty Boy
6,852 Posts
How would you suggest the grs diverter be improved?
Sell it and modify your stock diverter so the sponge strip hugs the back end of your GRS, keeping all the collected air flowing into the top of the IC across the entire surface of it.

The problem with the GRS diverter is that it warps in the heat and begins letting hot air in from the engine bay.

·
Registered
591 Posts
GP Intercooler & Sprintex Charger with smallest pulley = 7-20 degrees above ambient all day long,cruising & pottering around town..Only goes above this if in a traffic jam /stood still for more than 10-15 mins.. But once on the move IAT's drop back down.. I believe loss of power / heat soak comes at 55 degrees.. Just came back from a week in Monaco & the South of France covering approx 1500-2,000 miles in 23 degree + heat street racing all over the place and IAT's were good as gold..

·
Registered
887 Posts
Running a 17% & GP intercooler my temps rarely exceed 24 on a warm day if cruising. I can't believe how quickly the GP recovers though! Cruising on the motorway they normally sit between 16-18 depending on ambient temps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Guys... I have ran the tritec at Mira at 130 mph testing thermals. It. Is. Not. The. Bloody. Intercooler. Stock grs alta etc... Pulleys etc... Headers... And so on...

The biggest change in the induction temp I saw was 3c on the motec telemetry. The stock tritec was designed to handle the airflow of about 190bhp max. The headers even less. The induction temp is generated from the exhaust temp an flow or lack of it as such. The stock MCS head is a bottle neck. This generates ,.... Heat.

The ecu uses a flawed logic to deal with temp, as the stock map with a reduced pulley will allow det that will burn valves and the cat.

Research and development.

A 15% pulley on a stock intercooler at 4c air temp @ 130mph will make 1000c plus on the headers. This will kill a stock pre cat in ten minutes, resulting in back pressure higher inlet temps poor fuel Eco..

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the GP cooler seems to be a better option than GRS, for recovery atleast.
Has anyone gone down the route of wrapping the manifold? I've heard horror stories of warping heads, cracking welds and causing fires if a small gap is left on the wrap, the heat will cause a hotspot and set fire to it!

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
So......am I right in thinking that water/meth is a better all round combustion cooling proposition, compared to an upgraded intercooler?
So near yet so far, there's other things too look at 1st before you deal with heat you must remove the causes as best you can

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,405 Posts
My head is now beginning to hurt. Fact me up and put me out of my misery please. My logic was based upon a drop in intake temp only as opposed to reductions in intake, combustion and EGT. I should've known it wouldn't be that simple

1 - 20 of 163 Posts