MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been looking on forums to find out: if 280hp is safe on stock internals, if the clutch will need upgrading, and if I would need a hybrid turbo.
I am currently at 240hp with a updated intercooler and decat down pipe with 2.5” straight pipe exhaust.
-So I am asking if I can get to 280 safely?
-Can I get there on the stock turbo or do I need a jcw or hybrid?
-Would meth help?
-would the clutch need upgrading?

I know it has probs been answered plenty but I can’t find a definitive answer so sorry but I need to know :)

thanks in advance if anyone can help 👍

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,725 Posts
You don't indicate whether this is an N14 or N18; I wouldn't push the former any harder.

We run an R56 GP and we have 280hp with the N18 JCW(?) turbo, ignition projects coils, AEM CAI, Akrapovic DP, Airtec FMIC, GFB BOV and a decent map, but no meth. We also replaced the clutch at just 42,000 km when the LSD & LWFW went in, and the clutch was worn down to the rivets; don't know how it wasn't slipping. You'll definitely want an uprated clutch and pressure plate.

As to safety your guess is as good as mine, a modified engine will always be a modified engine...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
As above.

I wouldn’t go past 250-270 personally on stock Internals. I’d be looking to go forged.

Hybrid turbo might be at the limit I’m no expert. Or just change it

I would say it’s pretty straight forward but you might run into fuel pump issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As above.

I wouldn’t go past 250-270 personally on stock Internals. I’d be looking to go forged.

I would say it’s pretty straight forward but you might run into fuel pump issues.

What would need to be forged and what changes will need to be done to the head?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As above.

I have a n18 standard cooper s, so I need a jcw turbo or hybrid?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have a n18 standard cooper s, so I need a jcw turbo or hybrid?
You can stick a jcw turbo on for 250-270 but you are probably at its limit.
I would speak to lohen about forging.
They will know what’s best. Pistons is obvious one, con rods, maybe intake and exhaust valves, the list could be endless.
Speak to the experts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can stick a jcw turbo on for 250-270 but you are probably at its limit.
I would speak to lohen about forging.
They will know what’s best. Pistons is obvious one, con rods, maybe intake and exhaust valves, the list could be endless.
Speak to the experts

Okay will do thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
it's likely it wouldn't last so well. I wouldn't want to run one that high on stock internals,

others will tell you about what turbo etc.

clutch will blow through.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You need to think about the knock on effect of the upgrades. And is it worth it.

At 270bhp+ you'll be making likely around 380/400nm torque, maybe more. Torque isn't good on these stock engines and rods getting thrown out the block. With the uprated torque the clutch will get fried.

Budget: £1500/1800 for a quality clutch installed like TTV racing clutch and single mass flywheel.
Budget £750 for the diff as you will 100% want one. Do it at the same time and save the labour of regretting not doing it. Ask me how I know.. 🤦‍♂️

JCW turbo (genuine new) around £1100
Hybrid similar at around £1000-1200
Decent map £600

Go beyond that and it might not last so long. Mine didn't. And if you're looking at a forged engine top to bottom, quality parts budget around £10k with machine shop work for the block (bigger pistons) head work, assembly before going back to the garage to build it up and fit it. That's all new parts, gaskets, seals bla bla bla.

Then there is meth, a decent kit like snow Performance is around £450/500, plus 4 way spray and 5th Injector for cooling from the US company Speedtech Motorsport, plus install maybe another £1200.

Things escalate, with one mod requiring another to cope with the last! I've done all the above and more and in hindsight if I know now what I didn't know then I'd have binned the car after it blew up, but in for a penny in for a pound! Good luck with your choices of upgrades!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts