MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know if you can lock any applications for i-pad

i want to use one at a trade show, but do not want visiting plebs using it to look at face book, check e.mails or even visit mt

just thinking about using it as a simple touch screen to look only at clients content/shadow web site/ demo vids, tech info

as i dont have one, i would rather here fom some one who has? :blush:

is it possible

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
I think you can lock certain things, just like an i pod touch. I'll have a play with mine.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Very interesting indeed. When planning/exhibiting artwork I considered using and iPad to give potential clients a view of other porfolio work etc. However I didn't want the above to happen or for the iPad to go walk about. They are very expensive and will definitely be a draw for a thief. What I use is a fairly decent digital photo frame. The Kodak one I have has some good settings and allows me to display my artwork effectively. It's also fairly cheap so if someone did steal it, it wouldn't be a huge outlay to replace.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting indeed. When planning/exhibiting artwork I considered using and iPad to give potential clients a view of other porfolio work etc. However I didn't want the above to happen or for the iPad to go walk about. They are very expensive and will definitely be a draw for a thief. What I use is a fairly decent digital photo frame. The Kodak one I have has some good settings and allows me to display my artwork effectively. It's also fairly cheap so if someone did steal it, it wouldn't be a huge outlay to replace.
cool idea i have used frames before, but need it to be far more interactive and user driven for content, rather than just a slide show, keep the ideas coming

i think i have a security solution...

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
There are cheaper Tablet PCs available and they use Android too. Toshiba have the Folio, but many of the larger outlets have stopped selling it due to software/functional issues. Advent have one, but I haven't had a chance to play with one yet.

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts
I'm guessing the only way of locking an iPad, would be to jailbreak it first, then there might be some software available to do it.

Other than that or a laptop / tablet PC, then a touchscreen monitor with a PC hidden away would be a good option - used to source and supply solutions like that at my last place...as well as writing the web app to drive the presentation / site etc.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
A good idea said already, in a chassis that blanks off access to the home button.

Alternatively, uninstall all non original apps (once purchased all apps can be re-installed for free), but I think the first option is the better one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts