MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anybody give me a quick guide to how I tell on a 57 plate car if it's a cooper s or cooper s with jcw pack or a actual JCW.

I've been told that people have been know just to put the badges on!!!!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
look on your V5C , get the car reg checked , ask the dealer with the VIN number, Check the BHP of the car,
any more?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a private sale , so I dont have access to any of the info yet. I was wondering if there was a visual clues in the engine bay etc.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
it's a private sale , so I dont have access to any of the info yet. I was wondering if there was a visual clues in the engine bay etc.
FJCW - 210bhp standard, must have Red brembos,must have jcw exhaust, must have a different airbox(its taller), the jcw bumper kit is also mandatory.
Cooper S with 210 KIT - Dealer fit, comes with a unique number on the engine bay to say its a cooper s with a kit on, gets a remap and a different stage 1 exhaust - no red brembos or the jcw bumpers
Cooper S with only be 175bhp engine wise, and has no jcw bumpers or brakes or jcw exhaust from standard. When you car reg check it will say cooper S

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well from the photos , it doesn;t seem to have the brembo's , just I can just about see a label on the airbox and it seems to have a JCW exhaust so we shall see!!!!

Where the dealer fit JCW 190 or 210?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Visually on a fJCW the interior will have red numbers on the gearstick as opposed to just the normal white numbers and there will be a small square chequered badge on the glovebox. Externally, you will see the JCW badge at the front on the bottom grille ONLY and at the back there will be no Cooper S sign whatsoever, there will be a JCW badge on the right hand side I believe. Also the exhaust tips should have no JCW logo on them, they are just bare chrome tips.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The brembo's and the exhaust are the main mods that are less likely to be added to a cooper s.
Many of the others such as bumpers, gear stick etc are part of the sport pack and as such be added to any MINI at build, even a cooper or a one

I have an sd with most of the JCW kit that was fitted at factory. I'm busy looking for brembos for some point in the future

·
Registered
1 Posts
Visually on a fJCW the interior will have red numbers on the gearstick as opposed to just the normal white numbers and there will be a small square chequered badge on the glovebox. Externally, you will see the JCW badge at the front on the bottom grille ONLY and at the back there will be no Cooper S sign whatsoever, there will be a JCW badge on the right hand side I believe. Also the exhaust tips should have no JCW logo on them, they are just bare chrome tips.
Actually, be careful, I have a mini Cooper s, which from new was upgraded by mini to have jcw brakes, suspension, tuning, basically everything, including interior, it does have jcw on exhausts, does have brembo red calipers, and jcw air box, and pretty much everything that has been upgraded is labelled jcw, there is also certificates from mini to authenticate it provenance. So I would say check for paperwork, check certificates, and check for genuine label's on all the has been done, there are also stickers in the windscreen about, brakes upgrade, suspension upgrades, and so on, there are also stickers in door shut regarding some of the other changes.
The only way to be sure about what the car is, or was is to check paperwork, check with mini. The engine in our jcw is the same as one fitted to our friend's jcw roadster, which came from the factory as a jcw roadster. Only difference is ours is supercharged, theirs is turbo.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
a bit of a late reply 4 years on ;O)

this thread is in the R55/56/57 section,

if supercharged yours is a 53/52 which means it is not the same engine as your friends turbocharged car unless they've added an aftermarket turbo system to a once supercharged car?

the S/C car has a Tritec (Chrysler) motor, the turbo car a Prince (Peugeot) motor fyi, totally different.

brakes on the supercharged cars, JCW, GP, or otherwise were not Brembo, you have single piston sliding calipers, just larger size the same as on the GP1 and R56S @294mm but with the early style caliper that has a banjo flexi hose attachment, the R56S ones have a screw type, then the Brembo options are fixed four or six pot calipers only on the turbo JCW/GP2 cars, unless added to an early car by an owner as a modification which some do.

just sayin' ;O)

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,722 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts