MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I’m back to the mini scene but not in an R56 this time I sold my Tesla and took in an prefacelift R53 JCW with 150k kilometers on the clock that had terrible paint, 100’s of oil leaks and god knows how many “siliconed-on” Modifications, but underneath, this is a very very rare car in Hong Kong so I had to save it! Although almost lost my Girlfriend along the way 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the work began with sorting out the mechanical problems:
All new OEM engine mounts
Full service
All little rattles sorted and some missing parts replaced
New SSW alloy wheels
New kill all chrome Halo lights
New Facelift headlights
New gloss black JCW Aero Grill

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next step was to sort the paint out. In Hong Kong we have so many typhoons, tight parking spots, terrible roads and finally know here to detail the car (which is bad when it’s a black car) so I went for something a bit different. We PPF’d the full car in Gloss Black PPF rather than respray it. The finish is very glossy, nothing like a wrap and is far more resilient than paint as it self heals in the sun, therefore no haziness or swirls.

also while the car was in we fitted
LED side repeaters
Union Jack rear lights
RSI C6 carbon lower splitter
momo alcantara steering wheel
Generic Japanese GP wing
Smoothed of all the holes in the roof, boot, bonnet and the number plate recesses

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest, the car wasn’t looking how I wanted it and the mods weren’t really my cup of tea. Despite looking much better I then changed my direction with the car, and then wanted to make a kind of club sport spec R53 JCW and then started to buy some more choice mods and demodified some others.
Originally I had bought some Recaro alcantara RSG’s but then sold them and purchased some CS sportsters instead. Also I changed the SSR wheels for some Enkie wheels in a much better fitment, plus fitted some Bridgestone RE71RS tyres (which are epic!)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The next step was then was the sort some interior parts, and start on the big mechanical restoration. Thank Oli from Orranje and the guys at Lohen
we then fitted the following:
gruppe m intake and pro hoses
Alcon racing brakes
Replaced the bilstein kit with KW V3’s with vorschlag camber plates
R56 rear trailing arms
Full polybushes
Adjustable super pro drop links
Full hardrace rear end and bump steer kit
CAE shifter with new cables and alcantara knob
Alcantara dash, pillars and headliner. And that’s how it stayed for a month or so.
CPI Japan Centre brace
Pioneer touch screen and full focal audio

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the next step was the mechanical engine stuff and the body kit, the engine is in great shape considering it’s done so many KM’s but I wanted to overhaul the bolt-ons so we did the following:
HKS R56 exhaust
GP side skirts
Orranje R56 front and rear bumpers
GP2 undertray, flat floor and rear diffuser kit
Pro alloy intercooler, PAS tank and Coolant tank
OS giken clutch
Cusco rear brace and diff with box refresh
Mishimoto radiator and thermostat with pro hoses
Mocal oil cooler kit
MSD Coiloack, leads and plugs
Cravenspeed 17% supercharger pulley, new idler / tensioner and 2% ATI damper also serviced the supercharger
Replaced all the gaskets and fixed oil leaks
HHC rear brake upgrade and Project Mu rear pads
Vibra mounts
Massive thanks to Orranje and MS in Hong Kong
next steps are:
Link G4 plus and Aim dash
Full carbon interior pack and rear GP2 interior
Craft square side mirrors
Liteblox battery
Tidy up some of the Focal install and hide sub etc.

thanks for looking!
James

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the kind comments. It’s been a hell of a few weeks with getting all the parts on so I can use the car during the rainy season here in Hong Kong, but here are a few work in progress shots.

managed to fit a carbon fuel neck, Orranje GP1 brake light delete, the Orranje R56 front bumper, Orranje R56 rear with GP2 diffuser fitted and Orranje GP1 side skirts.

I have a small issue with a rattle on the SC side which I suspect is to do with the wrong size belt for the 17% and 2% ATI. If anyone know what belt I should get that would really help?

Over the next few weeks I’ll tackle the carbon interior parts, gauges, shift light and the rear big disk conversion.
hopefully have a better upgrade to show you guys next time!
James

Attachments

·
Hobo Member
497 Posts
Good progress. Out of curiosity, how long did ot take you to bring the Mini to the current state? I mean since you bought it and where it’s now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi James, love what you've done with your R53 looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of those wheels too!
By the way, I love HK too, been there a few times on business but not over the past few years sadly :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, the diff and clutch make a huge difference. Hong Kong is an excellent place! Building this as a forever keeper because it’s in such good condition, absolutely no rust, testament to the weather here!
Here’s some small updates:
Fitted the rear BBK with r56 calipers
Finally got the rear diffuser and HKS exhaust on with genuine carbon JCW Po exhaust tips sounds awesome! I also fitted a 200cell sports cat and magnaflow mid-silencer
Started to put the aero on
And also fitted a new rear battery and cage.

more pics to follow!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts