MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bizarre one this and one i am keen to solve asap, as will become apparent as I write this.

So 2006 R53 facelift Cooper S with newer headlights with the little flap on the inside of the chrome surround on the headlight. This was something I de-chromed as part of the "Mini blackening". However, since I have done this, every time I press the left indicator stalk inwards to blast the windscreen and headlights the little existing chrome tops with their black overs fly off and leave me with the headlights looking like the extra little bit of headlight trim has been jettisoned somewhere.

This is especially irritating as the chrome part from MINI is a £11, the de-chrome blackout bit is £10 and the tip of the high pressure pump also seems to disappear every time the stalk operation is invoked. `They cost £54 each to replace.

So not keen on spending £75 every time I try to clean with windscreen and also not too bothered if this functionality ceased to be. So my questions are:

1) Is this a known thing after de-chroming?
2) How do I overide the headlight washers as I am not bothered about that functionality at all. The car is hardy driven and cleaned at all times so if I can just stick the chrome and -de-chrome black top back on, I m happy with that.

Thoughts anyone?

Thx

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Works on pressure, iirc, so just unplug the pump in the passenger side wing.

You'll have to reconnect it for the mot though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can always pull the fuse to stop them operating, I did when the joiner on the pipe connected to the pump leaked and drained the tank. The pump would quickly fail if ever run dry. It is fuse 25 (30A) in the passenger inside fuse box.

They must work to pass the MOT (as commented above).

Only long term solution would be to fix them. You may have broken something when you dismantled them to paint them. They are quite delicate. Plenty of secondhand replacements available on eBay.

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Fuck knows why I said to delve into the depths of the wing to get to the pump when there's an easily accessible fuse and/or relay to go at...

:ROFLMAO::sleep:

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
504 Posts
As mentioned just pull the fuse. This basically kills power to that pump so they just stop working. The windscreen washers have separate pump

My car had a dead pump which I suspect had been dead a good while before I bought it and it kept passing MOTs like it so cant see it ever really becoming an issue....though somewhat depends on the knowledge level/pedanticness of the person MOTing the car. I replaced the pump though as it bugged me that they didn't work :LOL:

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
504 Posts
Is annoying...appreciate they arent the newest but I've had a number of VAG cars with headlamp washers over the years and they were always programmed to deactivate the headlamp pump if the washer fluid warning was triggered. Strange these dont do something similar.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sick to the back teeth of this stupid problem. Fuse 25 is coming out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuse 25 out, problem went away, caps are back on, jobs a goodun, thx Nigelstap

IMG_5430 3.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts