MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh, I've done it again, this time an R56 hatch, something I have never modded before so look forward to seeing what I can do with this one. I had one briefly for 3 months before I found out my girlfriend(now wife) was pregnant and panic swapped it for a Qashqai, although that ended up with me getting the blue Clubby so atleast it had a happy ending. Its a little rough around the edges but I like a challenge and the previous owner was super honest about it all and did it at a great price for me. You dont see many mellow yellow ones about these days, well this one is yellow for now:

Spec:
2007 Mini Cooper S R56 with 70k on the clock in mellow yellow
Chilli pack
JCW body kit
Black headlining
Black interior controls
Yellow seat belts
Mini DRL's
R112 Mini wheels

Had all the usual bits replaced recently including the timing chain which was done only last week. \

Its currently say on BC coilovers but those are going back to the original owner once I pick what suspension I am fitting to mine. And for those that didnt watch the video above, I am going to cannibalise my R53 to make this something special, I know that will upset some people but meh

Going to be lots of updates on youtube as well as how to videos as you would expect.

Plenty of plans, just need to get my head around what you can do with an R56 hatch again as its been a while. It will need a full respray at some point but for now I am going to tidy the rough bits of paint up, enjoy yellow for the next year and go from there

Tweedbean’s R56 Project by James Baker, on Flickr

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,634 Posts
Interesting developments, it'll be sad to see the end of the R53, but maybe some bright spark will want the bright green shell to go racing or something and it'll live another day.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of progress happening.

Firstly I've started stripping the R53 for both parts im going to use on the R56 and those I have already sold:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Everytime I remove a piece from it, it provides me more comfort I've made the right decision. Off came the front yellowspeed brakes, these are going on the R56 as its a straight swap. I had some issues with the retain bolt on the passenger side disk which I ended up drilling that out:

Off comes most of the chrome, I have spare door handles and boot handle which will also be painted, I'm thinking the lot will go body colour:

I had a nice find with upgraded Vibe speakers in the back, anything must be better than the stock ones. The passenger side rear wasnt working but that turned out to be a loose connection which I fixed, note screws missing in pic as I had just removed it to find the issue.

Out comes the cage and front seats from the R53, these are both going into the R56:

So to make way I remove the rear seats and started working on removing the fronts:

Both fronts fitted, I have temporarily fitted these with the seat belts so I can drive it safely to Millsys Autos who is doing the welding for the cage fittings, he is also going to fit my front brakes at the same time as fixing a dodgy wheel bearing. I will be running both harnesses and seat belts to give choice.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
708 Posts
i really dont think that G-Wing will suit your R56 so you should sell it to me (for my 56)

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great progress James - looks good so far!
Thanks, have a few bits turn up this week for the exterior too :)

i really dont think that G-Wing will suit your R56 so you should sell it to me (for my 56)
Ha no chance, I need to get the new boot lid on so I can get that fitted.

Also my latest video just went live as my Leap scoop turned up and looks spot on, so many scoop manufactures dont show the underside as they are ugly, this is such a neat product from them, look at the pics below, fit is spot on and the underside is as neat as the top:

·
Registered
2006 Pepper white Mini R53
74 Posts
Great choice James, I loved mine . Almost looks like a new more subtle design? Not sure...

Edit: Just watched your video and seen the difference in the scoops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts