MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here so apologies if this isn't in the right forum!

I have a problem with my girlfriend's 2005 R52 Cooper Convertible where the passenger's windows (both front and rear) won't go back up.

This has happened after the alternator recently failed and started charging the battery to 18V, which caused us to replace the alternator, battery and fan belt.

We've bought a used replacement window motor and regulator which we hoped would fix the problem but unfortunately the problem is still present.

After doing some further research, I'm now thinking that the problem may lie with the BC1, which could have possibly been damaged by the higher battery voltage. So I have a few questions:

1. Do you guys think that the problem is likely to be with the BC1 or is my assumption off the mark?

2. Are there any schematics available for the BC1? If so, I can look at diagnosing the problem further and potentially replace any faulty components.

3. If I buy a used replacement BC1 off eBay, does it need to be from an R52 or could it be from an R50/R53?

4. Can anybody recommend someone who can clone my old BC1 onto the donor BC1, preferably near Swindon but if not I'm happy to post the unit to them?

Thanks in advance for your help with this. If you need any further info, just let me know!

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
I’m no expert but do you need to maybe ‘sync’ the window buttons manually?

an old Renault scenic we used to have had a new motor on one door and once replaced the window only went up in 5cm jolts then stopped until I was told to put both Vehicle side windows down At the same time then bring them back up together then hold the button up for 10 seconds until you heard a beep, that then re-synced the windows and it started working normally

maybe something similar is required for the mini?

May be an obvious question but have you tried putting all the windows up at once with the button by the rear view mirror too?

I’m assuming the passenger windows are stuck permanently down at the moment but does the roof down button do anything to the windows, on mine once you start to drop the roof the windows drop a couple of inches before the roof retracts, I can’t remember off hand if the roof up button also brings the windows up fully if you keep hold of it after the roof is fully closed, again does holding that do anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m no expert but do you need to maybe ‘sync’ the window buttons manually?

an old Renault scenic we used to have had a new motor on one door and once replaced the window only went up in 5cm jolts then stopped until I was told to put both Vehicle side windows down At the same time then bring them back up together then hold the button up for 10 seconds until you heard a beep, that then re-synced the windows and it started working normally

maybe something similar is required for the mini?

May be an obvious question but have you tried putting all the windows up at once with the button by the rear view mirror too?

I’m assuming the passenger windows are stuck permanently down at the moment but does the roof down button do anything to the windows, on mine once you start to drop the roof the windows drop a couple of inches before the roof retracts, I can’t remember off hand if the roof up button also brings the windows up fully if you keep hold of it after the roof is fully closed, again does holding that do anything?
Could be......does anyone know of a resyncing method for first generation Mini's?

Yes we've tried with both the window and roof buttons located by the rear view mirror, they do everything that they're supposed to do except for the passenger's windows

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found this link which gives the wiring diagrams for the Mini:

On page 114 it shows the wiring for the power windows for a convertible model. From research it seems like the motor signals are driven from relays which are on the BC1 and that they simply reverse the current through the motor when you want it to go in the reverse direction.

So, from looking at that diagram, it seems like if I could get the windows to go down but not back up it points to a problem further upstream in the BC1 - either with the relay itself or possibly the control signal for the relay.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Usual method of resetting the windows is to hold the switch down for a few seconds then up.... lemme see if i can find a link.

Could be the safety switch too, try swapping bits over from left to right to see if the problem moves about. Should help you eliminate possible issues.

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
Safety switch? What does this look like and where can I find it?
Dunno, clutching at straws :D

But I guess there will be something to stop the windows coming up if the roof isn't in a certain position, ie fully closed/open/etc.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
382 Posts
The micro switch in the boot that prevents the roof from opening all the way if the parcel shelf isn’t fitted is the only safety switch I can think of but if everything else is working regards the roof I can’t see it being that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The micro switch in the boot that prevents the roof from opening all the way if the parcel shelf isn’t fitted is the only safety switch I can think of but if everything else is working regards the roof I can’t see it being that
Yep the roof goes up and down fine so I've discounted it being the microswitch.

I've got the BC1 out of the car and had a look around to determine what could be the problem although it's pretty tough without a schematic! Would really help if I could get access to one. Anyway, I'm doing some tests later which should hopefully determine whether the problem lies with one of the relays or if it's further upstream. The relay can tolerate a maximum contact voltage of 16V so there's a good chance that it's been damaged when the battery started going up to 18V!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts