MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Please could i get second opinions on this remap day / rolling road result for my mods R53.

Newman cam ph3/4, 550cc inj, 17%, Airtec TMIC.

Seems a little low compared to what I have researched and was hoping for.

Engine is very healthy with no boost leaks.

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Evening all,

Please could i get second opinions on this remap day / rolling road result for my mods R53.

Newman cam ph3/4, 550cc inj, 17%, Airtec TMIC.

Seems a little low compared to what I have researched and was hoping for.

Engine is very healthy with no boost leaks.

TIA
Probably an honest dyno to be frank, my mini has the same cam and pully, standard intercooler and injectors, but bespoke map (so fuelling is spot on) and it’s dyno run was pretty similar.

What fuel were you running, mine was done on 97, 99 would add more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The previous owner had it mapped without cams/injectors and it ran 220hp . So IV just fitted the cams and injectors and got it mapped with these results.
Probably an honest dyno to be frank, my mini has the same cam and pully, standard intercooler and injectors, but bespoke map (so fuelling is spot on) and it’s dyno run was pretty similar.

What fuel were you running, mine was done on 97, 99 would add more.
99 Ron v power. Do you have a graph ?

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
assuming no other car problems, you have too much cam for the head and the manifold imo, the PH3/4 is an advanced cam for performance head work really

I ran that cam myself in a conservatively ported head to 234whp, it got there but late @8160 (all dyno's different)

17 pulley, 550's, GPIC, custom Maniflow 4:2.1 manifold (I can supply), with the mentioned head running stock size inlets and larger exhausts, JCW210 intake and JCW cat back. (solid lines is PH3/4)

all 3camshafts_Page_1.jpeg

in contrast, this is the same spec but with my EW02 cam refitted (I can supply) run to the same rpm overlaid with the 3/4 and 1302469

EW02 1302469 PH34 overlay 250.233.234whp Sep 20_Page_1.jpeg

I'll soon have a couple more Newman (custom Exclusive Workshops/LanSpeed) cam options, one of which might be more suitable for your head, the EW02 certainly will be more suitable for a stock head than the 3/4 but like I say, assuming you have no other contributory issues, that does seem low, cars running just a 15% pulley and generic map will pull 200, I'd probably be checking the cam timing personally. I'd be interested in driving that actually to see what it felt like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
appreciate your comment and helpful graphs. I understood about the cam maybe to racey for a stock head but Def thought it be higher. im not chasing figure but too mean it's like a step back.

Can timings? do you go by standard BMW spec? ?

Manifold, you supply. photos and price please.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
385 Posts
I had a cat ‘fast road’ cam, airtek, 11% pulley, cheap s/s exhaust, k&n and stage 2 superchip bluefin and I got 218bhp on Lohens dyno if that helps as a comparison

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Is that Warren by any chance? Think I remember him from my 2.0 Corsa B days.

Was the 220 run done at the same place and do you have a graph for it along with AFR readings?

How does it drive to you now with the additional mods? What differences have you noticed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is that Warren by any chance? Think I remember him from my 2.0 Corsa B days.

Was the 220 run done at the same place and do you have a graph for it along with AFR readings?

How does it drive to you now with the additional mods? What differences have you noticed?
Indeed it's Warren :).

So it ran 220 at Devil devilopments previous owner but no afr graph unfortunately.

It feels better I agree, more so top end. I need to do some 3rd gear pulls to see in comparison with another R53, similiar mods.

I'm trying not to get hooked on numbers 😅
Would semi slicks effect Dyno results ? (Ar-1)

And would you suggest not to think there is an issue and just leave it as this ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The previous owner had it mapped without cams/injectors and it ran 220hp . So IV just fitted the cams and injectors and got it mapped with these results.

99 Ron v power. Do you have a graph ?
Yes I do, I’ll look for it, mine was on 97 ron fuel.

Found it, took a photo to save time.

178 lb-ft = 240 nm (should people want to make a comparison)

Peak numbers aside, compared to my brothers R53 with only the same 17% pulley it’s midrange torque is noticeably better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Appreciate your help.

Be interesting to see what it be like with 99 Ron on yours.
I'd estimate another 10-12bhp on max, but certainly no more.

It's worth mentioning that that the dyno session was done with the bonnet open so the intercooler would not have been running as efficiently as it could do. Purpose was to ensure safety before anything else, pre cam it was pulley and superchips stage 2 bluefin and it was running lean, adding the cam made is worse. I think my cam is milder than yours though, having read your updates since I first posted.

As you said it's worth not getting obsessed with numbers, drivability is the most important factor.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This ones mine. Face lift model so in theory 10hp up on yours from factory, but standard engine. Runs a KAVS -15% pulley, Alta intake, Airtec TMIC, 380cc injectors with appropriate JCW factory map and some Fleabay Toyosports cat back stainless.... but I like it! 3 pulls were done, all in 3rd gear with the bonnet shut.... think the heat got to it on the 3rd run and it pulled timing as it dropped 20 odd hp? 🤷‍♂️

Not sure on the accuracy of the particular dyno so I'd say the numbers are irrelevant but she certainly picks her feet up for an old girl.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sean, just curious as you'll know more about this than I. What do you reckon to the OP's AFR? Little too rich perhaps? Could trimming the fuelling gain some HP? :unsure:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've also got a JCW head (scrap) that says overtightening spark plugs, wrong heat range spark plugs and lean mixtures is bad for the combustion chambers too! 🤣🤣
Pressure tests up ok but its going nowhere near a car of mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts