MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it's the same as a million of the other damn things everywhere I look!!

I bought it to replace my Elise, wanted a car with a working heater (and sun visors!!), and so far think it's a fab little thing. Rattles a lot, paid over the odds for it, the exhaust is knackered and it needs a new wheel bearing, but they do look nice and love the way it handles. Not a lot planned for it at the moment, possibly some light engine mods but attempting to save money so will probably leave it alone.

Plus some of the cars that went before it, for those of you (if any!) who care.

Hello anyway, and to those of you I know from other forums. I look forward to picking your brains when I break something!
Philip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys, is appreciated.

im not sure id sell an elise for a mini but each to their own. welcome along
I sold the first Elise because I was a moron, sold the second one to finance a kitchen, I'll have another at some point but it won't be my only car. The black one was tested at 107dB at a track day, 65,000 miles and I'm surprised I've got any hearing left!!!

Mini seems like a limo in comparison. Just wanted something completely different - tried a Mk3 MR2 when I got rid of the first one and hated it as it was like a crap verson of an Elise, love the Mini as it doesn't try to be a sportscar. Plus I can get my bike in it without taking both wheels, the seat, handlebars and forks off :lol::lol:

·
/Overcompensate
717 Posts
You might find that you are more welcome over here while running coilovers.

I will hold off my welcome message till then.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might find that you are more welcome over here while running coilovers.

I will hold off my welcome message till then.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
I'll film the number of speed humps the front / bottom scraps on trying to get down the road outside the house at the moment, and then you'll understand why it's unlikely to be on coilovers any time soon :lol::lol:

Number plates on my Elises were held on by velcro so I could stick them back on again after they'd been ripped off, bloody council and their anti speeding methods.

That said, I've never been one for standard ride heights, so I may get a welcome out of you at some point!!

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I'm down by about 35mm, and have a front lower brace, not scraped on anything yet... Plenty of speedbumps, granted they're full width not shitty squares in the middle of the road.

If the Elise managed, I'm sure the mini will...

If not, bag it... ;)

I need an Elise in my life at some point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Mini does scrape, it's infuriating. Girlfriend flies over the fucking things at about 40mph, I'm down to 10. Maybe I should take her approach and use them as some sort of take-off ramp.

Elises are awesome, not a lot gets close to being as responsive or fun to drive. They're special, I do miss that. I just made the mistake of attempting to rebuild my last one and then using it as a daily driver, the niggles that kept appearing from being off the road for 5 years and trying to get everything fixed and on the road again by the next day killed me (and my credit card, most definitely my credit card).

I really like the Mini though, would like to keep it alongside an Elise, would be a cool pair of cars. Next time!

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's probably the plastic airdam/splitter under the bumper that's scraping.. Just dremel most of it off :D

Coilovers are recommended on here because they're better suited for the mini than it's standard suspension. Lows are just a biproduct ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah definitely something plastic, if I carry on going at the rate I'm going there won't be any of it left anyway, hahah.

I'll probably play with the suspension if I change the wheels, somebody keeps parking a blue JCW car on multispoke wheels at my mum's old folk's home when I visit, Team Dynamics or OZ or similar, looks the business. Plus I've got all the upper body strength of a small girl, so would appreciate some lighter wheels.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used to have an Elise (S2 in Lava Orange!). They really are great cars but the Mini offers 'fun' in a different way and as you say in comparison to an Elise they're quite practical too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's worth it for the bike alone.

I think of it as being a lardy two seater (and stick the back seats down for the shopping), it seems pretty practical to me!! Guess it's all relative. What made you get rid of the S2? I do a lot of motorway journeys these days, the Mini is a far nicer place to be when you're knackered, and still sticks to the road pretty well if you do fancy caning it. Done about 3,000 miles in it now, think it's one of my favourite cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts