MiniTorque.com banner
141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts

Todays weather and your intercooler still isn’t fitted, why, because you were getting sozzled in your back garden on gin!

·
Registered
366 Posts
A good job, jobbed I’d say. The car has come a long way under your ownership. One that’s been saved from the scrapper for sure.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
Whilst my Focus is at the garage for it's MOT I could get a decent angle for a picture of my Mini. Not much has changed recently, though it is booked in for a clutch/flywheel change in August.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Focus passed it's MOT as well. Happy day.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 · (Edited)
My Mini has been at the garage since last Thursday having it's new clutch, single mass flywheel and crank seal fitted. Also a good time to get that cooling fan fitted whilst its in FESM.

Of course things never go to plan. At first there were some seized bolts, some of which had to be drilled out. But they are fixed. Worst of all, the connector on the power steering pump was corroded and fell to bits when it was unplugged. New pump needed. Ouch. Rather expensive and also subject to very large deposits. Fortunately a local company had one on the shelf, but cost a few quid more than online. I didn't dare buy a second hand pump (as the newest is at least 15 years old).

Blinking cars. Never as easy or cheap as you think.

Maybe I will get it back tomorrow? Working form home minimises the inconvenience, as does having two cars.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)
My Mini is back home.

Gearbox, clutch and cooling fan change went smoothly and then the broken bolts were sorted. However the wiring connector on the the PAS pump had broken when it was disconnected. The pins inside had rusted off. New pump bought and fitted (didn't want to risk a second hand one). New PAS fluid too, which isn't a bad thing.

All feels well and good. It drives quite differently now: Clutch is lighter, gears ratios are lower so having to change up at different times. I've not had chance to chuck it around too much to test the LSD as my old gearbox is laying in the back.

Smiled as it cost me twice as much as originally planned. That said two thirds of the extra cost was for the new PAS pump.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My Mini is back home.

Gearbox, clutch and cooling fan change went smoothly and then the broken bolts were sorted. However the wiring connector on the the PAS pump had broken when it was disconnected. The pins inside had rusted off. New pump bought and fitted (didn't want to risk a second hand one). New PAS fluid too, which isn't a bad thing.

All feels well and good. It drives quite differently now: Clutch is lighter, gears ratios are lower so having to change up at different times. I've not had chance to chuck it around too much to test the LSD as my old gearbox is laying in the back.

Smiled as it cost me twice as much as originally planned. That said two thirds of the extra cost was for the new PAS pump.
Glad you're happy with the outcome, that PAS pump could have failed any time so good to get it sorted out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 · (Edited)
I have just carried the old gearbox up my drive. Not doing that again in a hurry!

One proper test drive later and I am glad that I swapped to a BKL gearbox. So cheap to buy. Good value upgrade. I know the LSD isn't as good as a Quaife etc., but the cost is much less.

The SMF and clutch is good too.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts