MiniTorque.com banner
121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing the timing chain tensioner and mine seems to be stuck. Anyone have advice on how to get it out? The plastic end just pulled out but actual tensioner is not budging.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm doing the timing chain tensioner and mine seems to be stuck. Anyone have advice on how to get it out? The plastic end just pulled out but actual tensioner is not budging.
No. Mine came out fine when I changed it last year.

You need to post this question the engine section where it is more likely to be seen.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Time to fit the alternator and low speed fan resistor this weekend.

Wish me luck and rest assured the swear jar will be ready and willing for use.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Alternator done. No hassle. Much quieter now. Once off it wasn't as noisy as I expected but was black inside and smelled burnt.

Top tip: It's easier to unplug and disconnect the wiring from the alternator once it has been unbolted from the engine. Refitting is the same.

I couldn't get to the fan resistor unless I took the radiator out to split it from the fan. As I have no spare coolant, that wasn't going to happen today. I will get a new thermostat and OEM water pump and do a few jobs together later.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Because I didn't fancy geting oilly hands and reaching behind the engine I coughed up for four hours labour today at my local garage to get a new gasket fitted to the oil filter housing and oil cooler o rings. That's two less leaks.

They also found a small split in a CV gaitor so that got changed too.

On to the next job(s).

·
Registered
2005 R53
145 Posts
It's amazing how many additional bits I've changed when doing something else. Every job makes it better!

It is a lovely blue that, very tidy!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Effing weather! Rain, rain and yet more rain. Cold as well.

My Airtec intercooler is waiting to be fitted.

I remember it was so sunny and warm last spring.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
rain is indeed stopping play right now, got a front end to rebuild ffs! Joys of an outdoor workshop :rolleyes:
Too right. I always give myself plenty of time to get a job done. Mistakes happen when you are rushing and there's always something that takes extra time to work out or do.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts