MiniTorque.com banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Today I fitted another rocker cover gasket. Buy cheap to do the job twice they say. Too right. Did the job in about 90 minutes. Leak cured. On to the next one, oil filter and cooler I'm looking at you!

Sometimes it annoys and frustrates me, then I look at it and drive it and all is forgiven.

20200620_120444.jpg
20200620_172405.jpg

Bloody cars!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Seems as though a few of us have MOT's around the same time.

I always get nervous irrespective of car and looking after them, particularly as there are levels of interpretation involved from the tester.

E.g. I ended up with headlamp washer advisories last year as they are not working, but it's pre 2009 so shouldn't have even been tested.
This year they still don't work and were not tested. Was the same guy as last year.

·
That's you, that is.
312 Posts
Absolutely agree about the interpretation aspect. I once had a tester tell me that by rights he should’ve given me a major defect because my cat casing had a repair at one end that meant that I might’ve removed the cat internals.

Checked through the MOT guidelines when I got home and exhaust welds are only a problem if they’re on a DPF casing!

Mind you, someone on here actually had a tester unplug the coils from his xenons and then proceed to fail it for headlights not working - thankfully caught red handed by his dash cam!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
MOT has been passed. A few comments, all age related and not serious.

The chap who I take my cars to is quite fussy but he is fair.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Great news Nigel.

Mind you, someone on here actually had a tester unplug the coils from his xenons and then proceed to fail it for headlights not working - thankfully caught red handed by his dash cam!
I remember seeing this actually, very cheeky indeed.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
817 Posts
Yep couldn't agree more about MOT variances year on year....year before last it got pulled on a minor oil leak only, this year all the hard brake lines being corroded when I know full well its just the usual surface corrosion (and something that had been pulled on and off over a number of years).

Different guy, same garage did it this year....had the lad the year before done it I expect there would have been no advisories this time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Last week there was a bit of noise around the aux belt when I started up my Mini.

Today I helped whilst my brother fitted a new tensioner and I replaced the idle pulley. Both were a bit noisy and the tensioner was slacker then it should have been. Neither was awful, but its been beneficial to change them before failure.

Start to finish it took us 90 minutes and we hit no snags. We did find a good smearing of oil, most looks like it is coming from the oil filter housing and oil cooler pipe seals. The new rocker cover is still dry, but the old one had leaked a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Supercharger belt tension or timing chain?
The belt tensioner always made me nervous taking the slack and putting an allen key through the tensioner hole - single personned.
Whos drives better? The R53 or 52?

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Nice work, did it cure the noises you were experiencing?

Plan to do mine over winter, what brands did you go for?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Supercharger belt tension or timing chain?
The belt tensioner always made me nervous taking the slack and putting an allen key through the tensioner hole - single personned.
Whos drives better? The R53 or 52?
It was the aux belt tensioner and pulley.

2 man job releasing the tension on the belt, though I did nearly fall over when the belt tool slipped, not my proudest moment!

I’d say R52....but in reality they are much the same, but the R53 feels “tighter” as the R52 like most convertibles has more rattles.

At 18 & 14 years old both cars have aged very well, but need their maintenance kept on top of.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts