MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Blessed car chucked a wobbler today by spitting the spark plug out of number 2 cylinder. Thread stripped. Looks like its Time Sert time!

Hopefully it won't be a head off job.

The other three plugs are fine, but then it only takes one!

BAD MINI! BAD, BAD MINI!

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Elonexx, I like the size of the front mini plate :thumbup1:
Your Cousins got a tidy PB FRS :thumbup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was about to say that's an ST with a RS spoiler!

320BHP is a good number for that car. Plenty of power without major engine changes (i.e. turbo) and other parts that need to follow on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Update:

A gentlemen came today (real old school engineering type, complete with dirty boiler suit and scruffy beard) and sorted my stripped spark plug hole and all is well. He told me the plugs hadn't been tightened properly. None of the crush washers had been properly flattened. He said this is quite common as people are wary of over tightening and then get fooled by the crush washer and the plugs are too loose and work themselves out and take the threads with them. Common problem on gen 1 Minis.

He also told me his main business was dealing with the same issue with glow plugs on Mercs!

I had to take off the intercooler for easier access to the plug holes, so I took the opportunity to check the condition of the cooler and the boots and to see if it all was clean inside and it is well and good.

I have also picked up a set of the rear lights with clear indicators from ebay for a good price with the Osram diadem blue bulbs. Looking good against the electric blue paintwork. The subwoofer is in and running well. Nice richer sound but no number plate flap a la Vauxhall Corsa crew! Easy to wire up as the battery is close to hand in the boot, but getting the RCA cable front to back is fiddly and removing trim is quite involved and not much room (compared to my Focus) to do it.

20190429_180216.jpg
20190513_200117.jpg
20190513_200124.jpg
20190515_122450.jpg
20190515_125932.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Facelift headlights are on their way. Should arrive in time for next weekend. How much do you think my old ones are worth?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
New facelift headlights fitted. Very happy with the look, freshens the car up lots!

They take about an hour to fit (including removing the old lights).

There is a very good guide to removing headlights on YouTube (note how the light unit has to be moved in a particular fashion to fit out of the hole in the bonnet):

Few other tips (beyond the video):

Taking out -

• The nuts are fiddly and easy to drop (and loose). It's better to use a 8mm six sided socket than a spanner.
  • You MUST swing the ballast out as per the video.
  • The wiring cable is also clipped to the light unit.
Fitting back -

• The washer pump inlet pipe can be rotated (mine had been in transit).
  • The washer pumps take several cycles to fully prime and spray.
  • You can hear the levelling motors.
  • Check alignment and auto levelling in the dusk/dark.
The washers are quite delicate and will break easily (when removing the covers) so you are better off to buy a set with them included. Same goes for bulbs and ballasts as these are not cheap!
20190517_073028.jpg
20190601_134134.jpg
20190602_093606.jpg
20190604_203707.jpg
20190604_203715.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
No pressure in air con system. New condenser has been bought and whilst I've got in front end service mode for the 'charger service and pulley fit, a new radiator, as it seems silly to fit the old one back.

The garage is getting full again...

...garage empty again. See where the parts have gone, below!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Good long day on the spanners on Saturday (21/06/19) with KeithyCoop (thanks for your help bruv) on my Mini. Took six and a half hours (including tea breaks) to get the following done:

• Stripped into front end service mode
  • New radiator
  • New air con condenser
  • New coolant expansion tank
  • New silicone induction hose
  • New cam chain tensioner
  • Removed supercharger
  • Serviced supercharger and replaced it's oil
  • Put 17% KAVS pulley on supercharger
  • Refitted supercharger
  • Replaced water pump and crank sensor seals
  • New short ancillary belt
  • Cooler spark plugs
  • New coolant
  • Put the thing all back together again
  • Test drive
Saved a few bob. Got hands dirty. Did some brotherly bonding. Made car quicker. More charger whine. What more could I ask for!

Pictures attached!
20190622_115507.jpg
20190622_115515.jpg
20190622_115536.jpg
20190622_115528.jpg
20190621_071151.jpg

21 - 40 of 106 Posts