MiniTorque.com banner
201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
My driver door lock has been getting slower unlocking and earlier this week stopped unlocking all together. Yet another failed (unlock) motor in a Mini door actuator!

A secondhand actuator was ordered on eBay and I fitted it today. A little more complex than the passenger side due to the external lock connector, which is a bit frustrating to get back in to place. A few swear words and a cup of tea saw me through.

All done and working in 75 minutes.

This guide is superb (I used it when I replaced the passenger side actuator three years ago): 2001-2006 Mini Cooper Lock Actuator Replacement (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006) - iFixit Repair Guide

BTW: The second gen Mini uses the same door lock actuators as the first gen.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Awesome! How did you find the Mini? Has it given you anything you want to change before taking it round again?
Nothing in the way of upgrades. Suspension is OK until I become a better track driver. I certainly haven't found the limit of what is on the car.

I did notice an air lock in the top corner of the radiator, so I have ordered some more coolant then I can bleed it out and top up as needed.

The engine mods are working well together (cam and remap especially so). It pulls very well. The R56 brakes are up to the job and so are the tyres (which were better than I expected).

Above all it was really fun to drive and to learn in. It is very planted on the road but still nimble.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Probably picked up some marbling, will come off when driving particularly in the wet.
I think you're right there. I can hear it flicking off sometimes as I drive. It's surprising how much does come off the slick tyres on race cars, that you then drive over.

As for wet, I've forgotten what that is. Not rained in my part of Norfolk for a two months. My lawn is brown (and crispy underfoot).

·
Registered
2005 R53
282 Posts
I was there for the evening session on the 14th, shame I didn't spot you or I'd have said hi! Got there early too and nabbed the end garage which was freed up early :cool:

Car's looking very tidy!

The marbling coming off really worried me the first time - roundabouts are a favourite for it starting to come off and it doesn't half sound like a puncture or something massively rubbing :oops:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
I was there for the evening session on the 14th, shame I didn't spot you or I'd have said hi! Got there early too and nabbed the end garage which was freed up early :cool:

Car's looking very tidy!

The marbling coming off really worried me the first time - roundabouts are a favourite for it starting to come off and it doesn't half sound like a puncture or something massively rubbing :oops:
Shame. It would have been good to see you. I left at quarter to four. My brother was there too (Corsa rather than his R52), as was his step son (Focus ST250). We all had a really good day and improved our track driving, slowly but surely.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
No air leaks found, nor any codes that would indicate MAP sensor failure.

I am coming back to my initial thoughts that it is a combination of lighter flywheel, performance cam and remap. It needs a few extra revs or a little more fuel at low rev? Problem only started after the cam was fitted and it was remapped. It was OK when just the lighter flywheel was fitted.

It was mapped on a dyno, which wouldn't replicate the scenario as the wheels keep turning.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts