MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after burning a litre of oil in less than 800 miles and having hot start issues I decided to buy the bullet and compression test it expecting the worse.
Well the results where 172,159,158,168
Centre 2 pistons are piss wet through, left side was dry and right side was damp.
Head being taken of to be cleaned up, valves bedded in and new valve stem seals and hopefully this will solve my issues.

if anyone has any suggestions of thing I should do while doing this feel free to throw your 2p in.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
The numbers arent that bad. But yeah agree bit of elbow grease lapping valves in and new stem seals will hopefully solve it.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
take the sump off, lift and clean the pistons/rings even if not opting to renew rings, then perhaps renew your big end shells before they tell you they're shot....

Reactions: Maccmike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take the sump off, lift and clean the pistons/rings even if not opting to renew rings, then perhaps renew your big end shells before they tell you they're shot....
That sounds like a plan, any suggestions on big end brands?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Head was taken of and only a couple of seals had gone but head gasket was showing signs of blowing, my mechanic is gonna hone out the block and fit new rings an shells then send the head off to be skimmed and have some bigger exhaust valves fitted,.

Any recommendations on a good had gasket?

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
I wouldn't skim the head unless you're convinced it really needs doing

use the thicker head gasket if you do,

OEM or Victor Reinz imo, Elring maybe

with your pulleys and potential power aims personally I'd also look at ARP top and perhaps bottom, and if you're looking at higher rpm maybe better springs although it's all £££.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice bud, really appreciate it. I know this mini is only a toy but love driving it more than my porker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts