MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had the Mini back from its MOT today and unfortunately it is quite a list. Most of the items seemed relatively easy to fix for someone with my limited mechanical skills however it failed on the following which I am reluctant to pay the garage for :

Brake pipe excessively corroded nearside front
Brake pipe excessively corroded offside front

At first I thought I could just change over some braided lines however it looks like its the actual hard line piece of the brakes that will need changed over. I had a quick search on the forum and came across the below and was planning to order an OEM set and bend them myself. For the life of me though I cant work out what parts it is. I know one is number 4 in the below link , however does anyone know what the other side is ?

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Thanks again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve actually had a look and the braided lines actually look reasonably priced , will flick through the hobo express forum and see if I can more info

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,554 Posts
I didn't list the lengths if I remember rightly. I know that orranje now have one of HEL's machines and produce stuff in house. They are looking to to a full kit, not sure how far on they are with the project though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't list the lengths if I remember rightly. I know that orranje now have one of HEL's machines and produce stuff in house. They are looking to to a full kit, not sure how far on they are with the project though
Thanks , I have dropped them an email and I will see if they can help.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
it's numbers 4 & 3, plastic coated, awkward to bend really but with decent bending pliers and noting the different fitting iirc for the left pipe into the module, straightforward enough.

for custom lines I can't say I'd necessarily be happy that someone else's idea of where they think they should be routed would match mine, which will be the case if the above was an option, so then I'd feel stuck with lengths that might not suit what/how I'd want. Saying that, having the tool to do this was something I was looking into, then I install stuff myself so could route lines to suit myself or individual requests, will see in time, emailed HEL on this some while back, as much to do with bikes as cars then.

what did your garage quote to make the hard lines up and install?

I've used the OEM lines several times, a neat option for the front in particular due to how much crap gets thrown at them, plastic coated could last ages potentially, copper often looks old quickly, although I use that too, probably more often, easy enough to flare at the car and certainly easiest to bend, just not so easy to get the different sized ends in stock at a factors if ever required, I can never remember sizes of stuff haha.

OEM is under £40 a side, front or rear iirc. For pliers, use the ones with the wheel rather than the 90deg bend imo.

WP_20190815_030.jpg

WP_20190815_024.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's numbers 4 & 3, plastic coated, awkward to bend really but with decent bending pliers and noting the different fitting iirc for the left pipe into the module, straightforward enough.

for custom lines I can't say I'd necessarily be happy that someone else's idea of where they think they should be routed would match mine, which will be the case if the above was an option, so then I'd feel stuck with lengths that might not suit what/how I'd want. Saying that, having the tool to do this was something I was looking into, then I install stuff myself so could route lines to suit myself or individual requests, will see in time, emailed HEL on this some while back, as much to do with bikes as cars then.

what did your garage quote to make the hard lines up and install?

I've used the OEM lines several times, a neat option for the front in particular due to how much crap gets thrown at them, plastic coated could last ages potentially, copper often looks old quickly, although I use that too, probably more often, easy enough to flare at the car and certainly easiest to bend, just not so easy to get the different sized ends in stock at a factors if ever required, I can never remember sizes of stuff haha.

OEM is under £40 a side, front or rear iirc. For pliers, use the ones with the wheel rather than the 90deg bend imo.

View attachment 100637
View attachment 100638
Thanks very much for this , I’ll be giving them a call first thing to see if they can help . I also noticed these for sale on eBay which look like they are the same as I need

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've had my front pipes replaced this year.

When I went to undo the joiner to the flexi, to fit my R56 callipers, it was solid. My local garage replaced the hard pipes, because they were getting bad (had been mentioned on MOT so was sensible to change them).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts