MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Used the guide this weekend, was very helpful.

with help of heat gun had them split open in 5 mins :)

TBH the hardest part was getting the headlight off the car. The lower n/s/f bolts had seized and just kept spinning. so I put my forklift away :) and picked up a hacksaw to chop bolt head off. after half hour it was off. and ready for painting.

So pleased with results, A lot cheaper than buying a set.
Same as me! That was just spinning and spinning. Was about ready to give up.

But for me, there is ONE screw, holding the chrome panel attached to the lens which is stuck. The one needing T25/20 torx. The screw is so incredibly tight nothing is budging it and I cannot use conventional methods to remove it due to the lens perishing. Also lacking power tools.

Lucky I haven't work tomorrow as I would have to drive to work without any headlights haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realise this thread is a bit old but hoping someone can jump in with a couple of answers to these questions:

1. Is high temp paint necessary? I don't see how it has any benefit if the primer isn't heat resistant since the primer will be at the same temp as the top coat.
2. I have seen a few posts about putting some aluminium tape in a certain place to reflect some heat, but the photo links are always broken as the posts are old, so wondering if anyone knows where this goes and if it helps?

I want to do this once and do it right.

Thanks!

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
1 yes it is, use a ht primer
2 the tape isn't necessary on the R56 projector xenons- just make sure you prep everything REALLY well

Also - you can paint the projectors, this doesn't need to be ht paint, I think this makes a massive difference to appearance
I stripped the projectors completely but others have successfully masked the holes

·
Learning!
5,804 Posts
Any tips on remove the chrome globe around the xenon bulb? I havent done an R56 set in years to memory is a little sketchy. I have the light apart with the lens and lower chrome portion ready to paint. Cant remember how you release the globe? Any clues?
Can’t remember exactly how I did mine, but it definitely wouldn’t have been more sophisticated than prising it off with a screwdriver

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks, most guides say dont just pull from the front, but all guides are about 5 years old and the image links are dead. Im going to just attach it with torx bits and keep removing screws until it comes out
It’s pretty self explanatory once you’re in there, the ones in the back can be fiddly but easy enough. Pop the back covers off to get to the torx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Suddenly I had a flash back, you dont need to undo any screws to get the globe cover off, there are two plastic tabs on the semi transparent plastic section under the chrome bit hold it onto the support metal cage. Use a screwdriver to push on one of those tabs and pull then off it pops

You can see them sticking up at 3 and 9 o'clock in the picture.

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

21 - 29 of 29 Posts