MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
is the Gtt intercooler any good? How does it compare to a grs or gp intercooler?
Thanks
dan

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
It's not as good Dan for sure - It doesn't have any air diverters in the ends so the flow rate is restricted a bit meaning you'll lose a bit of boost . Pay a bit more and get one you'll never moan about IMHO

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nige, Can get it brand new for £300 if that makes a diff?

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
They look good as I had one and I liked it but then I got into modding my Mini a lot and that's when you start to look a bit further .The air diverters for the scoop have screws which can leak boost and also the end plates inside are like a brick wall . I sold mine for £200 I think so you can get them cheaper if you want one . Graham at GRS makes quality gear - I'm off to pick up my Front Mount next week ;-) . I'll have a charge cooler system I'll be selling after that

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't really afford to get a grs new, and no one is selling a used one at the mo! So it's really between a gp or Gtt at the moment. I can't say I'm a fan of the way the gp one looks (I know, I know) which would you say would be better, gp or Gtt? Or are we talking negligable differences? I'm running stock at the moment ffs! :lol: car is never gna be crazy modded if that makes a diff, maybe a
cam in the future but certainly not £1000's worth of work

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
GP--- but I know what you mean about the looks !

Cam is a big enough mod - do the pulley + manifold first though then think brakes before going too far

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much of a diff are we really talking between gp and Gtt? Either hp or boost or temp wise, would u say?

·
it's a kon
733 Posts
I've got a GTT one, seems to do the biz for the power im making and keeps the temperatures down.

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the real world difference between them? Car isn't tracked at all, just a blast through the forest here and there. I need one sorted asap as it's started to get warm and 17% on stock is a problem! Can't really afford £440 for a grs, and I don't like the look of the gp lol!

·
Premium Member
17,320 Posts
Ask Alski, Jove or Ruskins... Alski swapped to a GRS, Jove to a GP and Ruskins went back to stock!

If you don't like the GP and can't afford the GRS then you're a bit stumped mate tbh.

·
Bugger
25,339 Posts
^ what he said, its not a great design esp for internal airflow for 300 id sit on you dick for a few weeks and wait for a GRS or just get the GP

·
aka Big Daddy
1,863 Posts
I need one sorted asap as it's started to get warm and 17% on stock is a problem!
Not a problem at all ::getcoat::

I ran a 16+2% combo for ages on the stock IC with average ambient temps above 30 degrees C..... never had a problem

·
GP Pilot 1238
2,361 Posts
Back we come to this little debate again.

Dan as I said in my txt just save for two more months and buy a GRS. Your car won't explode. Somebody earlier on mentioned the screws coming out on the GTT one. Dave morgan had one too that broke as did another guy I know.

There is always the GP option. How often do you look at your intercooler anyway?

Ben

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
At the end of the day as above, it's under the bonnet so does it really matter that much what it looks like... GRS/GP FTW...

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbup: guess I will wait and save for a grs!

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,724 Posts
always a second hand one knocking around every 6 weeks or so,

as d-man said its possible to run without, i managed happily 9 months on a 17%

its the way you drive it which makes the biggest difference to coolers capacity to cope
so only you will know the answer to that

·
Loving the Janspeed
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its the way you drive it which makes the biggest difference to coolers capacity to cope
so only you will know the answer to that
if i give it a good boot, i will cruise in a low gear afterwards for a few minutes to let the cooler recover, im a bit paranoid about detonation at the mo!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts