MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my Adjustable cam gear from GTT! So Simple it is scary!! LOL
However it isnt for the novice, at least setting the degree. There are NO marks , NO degree marks.. on the gear. This means that either you degree it on the engine in the car ( dont think so...) or on the bench on an engine Mocked up!! The Mock up is what I am using. After swinging max + to Max - to find the total.. it took me another 1.5 hours of trying to get at +4 advanced!! It aint easy!! At least this time, I am sure the more I do the faster it will be!! I will play some more and see if there is an easyer way for guys that dont have the dial indicater ( "drop-mic" I think you call it in the UK) and degree wheel... As I sit here I have thought another easyer way.. how ever I will need to see the results on the dyno.. yes?

SOOOoo....... I plan to use the stock camshaft 1st!! Then I will have a "cam of many names" and I will try that... Old Gear head says.. there will be more power!! We will see.... LOL Could be an easy mod.. if my ( new Idea for setting it up) works!!

Will try the +4 , then a +7 and then Max advance on the gear... next few weeks..

Just me................................

Thumper

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, the GTT gives you +- 4° range.
I had today the chance to get a first impression on a CatCam set on 4° advance and it was noticeable better than my standard setup.
I didnt see any marks on the two I recieved?? The max throw is 10* plus and minus on the one I checked.... That isnt fair.. yours was marked??? Roland... what's up with this...LOL

But you say you felt a gain in the SOP meter!! Rocking, and you say it was just +4*. Killer... I have an engine to pull the crank out of tommrow.. I will set up and check my numbers again tommrow and see if there was any marks... LOL

Thanks

Thumper

·
aka Big Daddy
1,863 Posts
Mike, the GTT gives you +- 4° range.
I had today the chance to get a first impression on a CatCam set on 4° advance and it was noticeable better than my standard setup.
Mick did it make any noticable change to the idle?

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I didnt see any marks on the two I recieved?? The max throw is 10* plus and minus on the one I checked.... That isnt fair.. yours was marked??? Roland... what's up with this...LOL

But you say you felt a gain in the SOP meter!! Rocking, and you say it was just +4*. Killer... I have an engine to pull the crank out of tommrow.. I will set up and check my numbers again tommrow and see if there was any marks... LOL

Thanks

Thumper
OK you made me go out and take a few pictures.. I do not see any marks ( other than the center punch marks I put on)

D-man.. I think the idle would "sound the same' but maybe a bit crispy'er ( is that a word?? LOL) see what madmick says..

Just me............................

Thumper

·
Fffuuuuuuu!
8,606 Posts
How do adjustable cam pulleys work? I understand about the advance and retard which it changes, but how do you actually adjust them to different degree settings? And where are the degree changes?

Is it by shifting the weight of the cam pulley? Can't get my head around how they work.

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
I'm no expert but I think it adjusts the cam timing by advancing or retarding when the valves open/close The GTT kit allows fine tuning of the timing as you can adjust to what degree the cam chain sits

Anyone?

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do adjustable cam pulleys work? I understand about the advance and retard which it changes, but how do you actually adjust them to different degree settings? And where are the degree changes?

Is it by shifting the weight of the cam pulley? Can't get my head around how they work.

This is what / why I am doing this.. the benefits of changing the cam phase are known!! as to HOW much gain at what degree.. that is what I will find out!! Looking at the GTT gear.. the 4 bolts can be loosened and the gear can be moved in the slots( not seen) as much as 10*ADVANCE ( + ) and 10* RETARD (-) By advancing the cam the valves are open sooner.. allowing more boost to enter the chambers.. thus building more power! ( see the cam phasing on any Cam Lit) N/A this is a good way to change the dynamic compression and build more power.

The GTT gear doesnt have any degree marks.. (the ones I have dont anyway)
MadMick says there is a + - 4* marks on his??? I am confused ??!! SOOOOOOoooo.... tomorrow I will run the degree wheel again against BOTH my GTT gears and see what is what!! cool??

I am with you.. I really feel like I need to know the degrees I am changing the cam to... yes??

Thumper

·
aka Big Daddy
1,863 Posts
The GTT gear doesnt have any degree marks.. (the ones I have dont anyway)
MadMick says there is a + - 4* marks on his??? I am confused ??!! SOOOOOOoooo.... tomorrow I will run the degree wheel again against BOTH my GTT gears and see what is what!! cool??

I am with you.. I really feel like I need to know the degrees I am changing the cam to... yes??

Thumper
Ok Mike you do hard work then let me know what works :thumbup:

·
Skipper
130 Posts
Minie hab no marks too, our Dr. Krumm meassured it out :huh:
The idle was smooth and the power output was linear but agressive!
If you advance the cam, the intakes opens sooner and closes sooner thats what a supercharged engine likes :thumbup1:

Here is an older dyno, the same cam (CatCam) once full retarded and full advanced.

Attachments

·
aka Big Daddy
1,863 Posts
dont forget to re-name it if it works.....
TTGTT adj cam-gear sounds good
Rename it the Thumper adjustable cam gear and sell it in the USA with a huge markup :thumbup1:
When people find out the truth DENY everything
Keep denying it despite being the truth...
Then when it gets really hot and you cant deny it any longer
make out it is slightly different to the GTT adjustable cam
This should work :wink:

·
aka Big Daddy
1,863 Posts
If you advance the cam, the intakes opens sooner and closes sooner thats what a supercharged engine likes :thumbup1:

Here is an older dyno, the same cam (CatCam) once full retarded and full advanced.
Thanks Mick :thumbup1:
So fully advanced is the way to go...

·
MINI!
3,160 Posts

Brilliant! Do you have a graph with the same setup and the timing at stock??

·
Experience vs Money!
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Rename it the Thumper adjustable cam gear and sell it in the USA with a huge markup :thumbup1:
When people find out the truth DENY everything
Keep denying it despite being the truth...
Then when it gets really hot and you cant deny it any longer
make out it is slightly different to the GTT adjustable cam
This should work :wink:

LOL.... we are going to have part names that take a week to read!! "The Cam of many names" - Thumper Performance GTT adjustable custom cam gear... lol

Mick.. THAT Is the dyno that really fired me up!! there is a lot of HP on that graph.. I know it is full adjustment from retard to advance.. however looks like a 10+ HP gain if you split it?? yes!!
You are saying that your engine man.. full advanced it and it was 4*. I see, I think, what you said on the 3-4 mm = 4*. I am on my test engine now.. and will return, my numbers are NOT what you are saying... thus my confusion.. back in a minute!!

Wait... advance the cam i tooth on the cam, then swing the adj gear to max.. and that is your advance?? I was thinking of this last nite ( amazing on how RUM allows the mind to wander while watching Dr Who..LOL) BRB!

Just me...........................

Thumper

·
MINI!
3,160 Posts
But what if on the graph you retarded slightly from max advance and it created more HP? Could be advanced too much...... but equally there could be more in it :) Interesting to see your results!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts