MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
All depends on how you use your car. For me meth as a track car is just an added pain in the arse of something else to carry and potentially run out of, which you dont have with other potential solutions like fmic
Yea can understand tracking a car is complete different set of circumstances

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
W/M is one of those awkward choices I think, I have a couple of systems but don't want to fit them for the reason above, running out etc but the benefits from cooler temps and the ignition timing that can be retained perhaps make it worth it. Then there is the need to map it in for best performance, and if it ran out or developed a fault, how long until you noticed and what affect it could have, plus the need to revert if even possible to an alternate map would make it a risk many won't want to take. Ok if you have a warning and a map switch facility wherever you are, possible with a laptop in the car all the time if you have the right tuning kit, ByteTroniK or standalone perhaps, and your laptop wasn't flat haha.

FMIC with AC would need a slimline core similar to that of a radiator or condenser, narrow enough to drop between the condenser and crash beam or above the condenser or just slightly raised so oil coolers can continue to be run low and then decide on mods to the crash beam if necessary which I'd prefer to avoid. KND engineering can make charger exhaust outlets and I think made something for GRS and Lee07771 I think his ID is on here, Karl Douse on fb. I have a one off on my grey car which could be copied I guess if people want them and I know what they're prepared to pay, then I could get a significant number produced easily enough. It'd have to have a slightly different end to the pipe as mine has an Adel Wiggins fitting currently but should be easy to do, and RMW also have their version. Changing the inlet horn to a similar style shouldn't be so difficult, made awkward perhaps by the bypass port but not everyone will use a BPV anyway perhaps.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Airtec "borrowed" the designs for the GRS front mount (they copied the 1st version which Graham later refined with a smaller core and pipes).

GRS later did a kit which removed the horns, they don't really advertise it but Graham will make you one up if you ask.
Yeah I've seen people mention that before but can see that running towards the 1k mark for an intercooler package, which I'm not prepared to spend lol
Sure I seen a while back knd_engineering was making a prototype outlet.
I'm pretty set on a FMIC as at my last track day the inlet temps were really high (using GRS top mount) and it's not ideal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
W/M is one of those awkward choices I think, I have a couple of systems but don't want to fit them for the reason above, running out etc but the benefits from cooler temps and the ignition timing that can be retained perhaps make it worth it. Then there is the need to map it in for best performance, and if it ran out or developed a fault, how long until you noticed and what affect it could have, plus the need to revert if even possible to an alternate map would make it a risk many won't want to take. Ok if you have a warning and a map switch facility wherever you are, possible with a laptop in the car all the time if you have the right tuning kit, ByteTroniK or standalone perhaps, and your laptop wasn't flat haha.

FMIC with AC would need a slimline core similar to that of a radiator or condenser, narrow enough to drop between the condenser and crash beam or above the condenser or just slightly raised so oil coolers can continue to be run low and then decide on mods to the crash beam if necessary which I'd prefer to avoid. KND engineering can make charger exhaust outlets and I think made something for GRS and Lee07771 I think his ID is on here, Karl Douse on fb. I have a one off on my grey car which could be copied I guess if people want them and I know what they're prepared to pay, then I could get a significant number produced easily enough. It'd have to have a slightly different end to the pipe as mine has an Adel Wiggins fitting currently but should be easy to do, and RMW also have their version. Changing the inlet horn to a similar style shouldn't be so difficult, made awkward perhaps by the bypass port but not everyone will use a BPV anyway perhaps.
Sorry mate, didn't see your comment about the outlets. I'm sure if someone was to produce even small batches of the outlets they would sell as there's a big gap in the market for them as they aren't really readily available. Surprised companies like airtec or pro alloy haven't already offered them as they are setup to produce them in quantity which is cheaper than paying to have one offs made up. I'm going to have a go myself I think, if it looks gash then I'll be looking to out source

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,407 Posts
If I was in the market for an alternative supercharger outlet (I'm not) I'd model it in foam and have it cast locally. I cant believe nobody has done this. That said I'm the kind of fella who'd try to dremel one out of billet. With regards to meth mapping, with a standalone its cake if you have the right kit. My AEM system has several failsafes and warnings built in, any of which can be used to auto map switch...simples

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I was in the market for an alternative supercharger outlet (I'm not) I'd model it in foam and have it cast locally. I cant believe nobody has done this. That said I'm the kind of fella who'd try to dremel one out of billet. With regards to meth mapping, with a standalone its cake if you have the right kit. My AEM system has several failsafes and warnings built in, any of which can be used to auto map switch...simples
Not a bad idea lol I'd probably make an outlet from steel plate/tube and if I'm not happy take it to a fabricator to copy in aluminium. Inlet pipe is the easier bit I think.

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
If I was in the market for an alternative supercharger outlet (I'm not) I'd model it in foam and have it cast locally.
At one point when I was still selling stuff I was talking to a chum whos a sculptor, they had a bronze casting thing and said it wouldn't be too hard to do it, I just didn't have enough people interested back then as you could get a GP core for £200 from mini, new...

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
In most cases with a TMIC the stock intercooler is far superior on the road. Less pressure drop , more internally aerodynamic and recovers faster than any of the other intercoolers due to core design and mass. We have been covering them with special heat dispersant that aids in even faster recovery. All of them will heat soak so the main thing you should be looking at is recovery speed. As far as how does temp effect it? For every 10deg F we see over 1% increase/decrease of power based on IATs. The higher your IATs go you will get into temp clipping which will take even more power out as detonation is just around the corner. You can get away with pulling less timing on E85 but you still have to pull it if you want your engine to last long term

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
As far as how does temp effect it? For every 10deg F we see over 1% increase/decrease of power based on IATs. The higher your IATs go you will get into temp clipping which will take even more power out as detonation is just around the corner. You can get away with pulling less timing on E85 but you still have to pull it if you want your engine to last long term
I think that's the big question that people are still searching for an answer on. Its great to know that 10deg = 1% power drop but the how much does it drop once you you clip and per temp degree above the point it clips?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Well that depends on how much power your engine loses per degree of timing pulled. This I think differs between engines.
correct, it will depend on many things

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah I've seen people mention that before but can see that running towards the 1k mark for an intercooler package, which I'm not prepared to spend lol
Sure I seen a while back knd_engineering was making a prototype outlet.
I'm pretty set on a FMIC as at my last track day the inlet temps were really high (using GRS top mount) and it's not ideal.

I have a prototype kit on a project car with the outlet that Karl produced before he became a Very mature student but i have not had a chance to log the IAT 'S unfortunately a custom rad is needed with the setup as i have kept the pipework as short as possible pictures to follow.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
that design will have quite a bit of pressure drop and not so great cooling due to multiple factors , I prefer vertical flow in the testing I have done but packaging can be tougher. They flow better and have less pressure drop, a big deal when using a supercharger on fixed boost. I have one for the TVS900 now. Here is a pick of the vertical flow for the 600whp+ turbo car.

Reactions: Lee07771

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I guess i could try with smaller pipework as well to see if there is any difference in pressure drop
I would first seal your intercooler to grill area. (think path of least resistance) so it's forced to push air through it> it's still on top of the radiator and that's not great as heat rises

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks appreciate your input , that was my next job but have not had time as of yet i might rig up a larger front mount temporarily to see what results i get also might tax the old banger and do some testing if i can work out how to use the logger on the link ecu

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Sorry mate, didn't see your comment about the outlets. I'm sure if someone was to produce even small batches of the outlets they would sell as there's a big gap in the market for them as they aren't really readily available. Surprised companies like airtec or pro alloy haven't already offered them as they are setup to produce them in quantity which is cheaper than paying to have one offs made up. I'm going to have a go myself I think, if it looks gash then I'll be looking to out source

as it happens mine is a Pro Alloy prototype, the whole car was built there stripped to a bare shell and built from scratch by one of the now ex staff, it had a 36 page build thread on the now defunct track mini site, the guy is on here but not often. He did at the time price up a front end kit which came to just over £2k back then which was probably over 3 years ago, car art really.

Reactions: JKo and shiftspark
21 - 40 of 44 Posts