MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

i have a gp2 spoiler/wing on the way. Have folks put much thought into its positioning from a performance point. I know most (including me) it for the aesthetics, but it will slightly influence the aero…not enough to notice?

has anyone noticed any effects with adjustable wing too?

just curious if people played about with it?

Cheers
Dan
Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
I’ve positioned both of mine about 1cm down from the gutter strip as I’d heard that putting them touching it can cause squeaks but other than that I’ve not even considered any performance benefit of the positioning, I’ve certainly not fitted mine to improve handling!

I know oranjee do an adjustable bracket for the wing itself to allow it to be adjusted but again whether it would Improve downforce I don’t know, I’d suspect if it did it wouldn’t be noticeable at normal road speeds

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 221bhp
966 Posts
the wing must be of some benefit otherwise the GP wouldn’t have one fitted or it would be carrying round unnecessary weight, probably at high speed on the track it makes a difference but stuck in a traffic jam it’s no more useful than a picnic table

·
Registered
JCW N18
98 Posts
the wing must be of some benefit otherwise the GP wouldn’t have one fitted or it would be carrying round unnecessary weight, probably at high speed on the track it makes a difference but stuck in a traffic jam it’s no more useful than a picnic table
Thats a good thinking i was thinking about the same when i was young.axaxaxax
Since i am in MINI communicty for so many years i have reached many people around MINI and factories ....
So from a very verified source i will tell you this...
The wing at GP2(stock version) actually makes the car slower...The aerodynamics/mechanics etc didnt want to put a wing but marketing perspective they told them to put it because people want the wing and none will ever notice the difference.
I dont know what about the adjustable wing fro RSI/Orranje though...I am thinking of replace mine with one of them just for the extra angle(downforce" might produce

·
Registered
779 Posts
I doubt the wing creates downforce. It will influence drag and stability but to what effect and if in a negative or positive manner is up for grabs.

I think it's decoration. Something to make the GP different.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The speed needed for most rear wings to be truly effective is high, and track day levels, so practically useless for normal day to day driving unfortunately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed, it who seem so. But i feel a track test to solve this :). First season with the wing and 2rd without.

my wing was from rci c6…so will fall off after lap two anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts