MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I have had my GP for a while now (sadly replacing my V8 loveliness in the form of an e39 M5) as my general run about and just wanted to pick peoples' brains.

Firstly, if the absence of rear seats and replacement by a bar apparently adds no stiffness to the car why is the red bar there? Moreover if I remove it will there be any consequences aside from the visual change??

Secondly, I had a lot of outside noise on my last trip to Heathrow. Aside from the additional noise made by those awful concrete blocks on the South side of that particular motorway (plus RFs) and the absence of rear seats (so less sound deadening) I put it down to the front of the undertray coming loose. It eventually snapped or wore itself off. I then had to drill a couple of holes in the large piece remaining it and plasticuff it to the underside. It looks like the top of the hard brake lines are now exposed in the middle of the car.

Despite looking on the OEM parts site I could not find the undertray section. My question is does anyone know if the tray is ubiquitous to all r53 Cooper S and Works or sepcifically for the GP. Moreover is there a screw or bolt at the top end of it? Last time I looked it looked to be flapping freely but could not work out if the part it should be attached to has rusted away or was never there anyway.

Any pointers welcome.

Pip

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would suggest GP only (read NLA, Ebay if your lucky) all the R53's I've seen from below you can see both floor sections, so fuel lines and brake pipes. Road noise is what it is, unfortunately, most, even without a spare, chance it and opt for non runflats. Doesn't help you have no rear seats but tbh all I have to do with mine is remove the parcel shelf and the road noise increases. 🤷‍♂️

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,722 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The M5 was 'T' boned by some old biddy en route to Bruntingthorpe for some driver training. Oh the irony.

Is that tray linked just an extension of the current front tray? The tray I am talking about starts around the oil sump plug and goes towards the back from there.

Pip

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,532 Posts
Maybe pop up some pictures.

The Orranje skid plate connects from the underside of the front bumper all the way to the rear of the subframe. I gave them the measurements way back when (naughty me).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts