MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 R53 Hyper Blue/White Cooper S
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I suppose more of a question than anything as it might be an incorrect observation on my part........but whilst there are many different aftermarket IC's for the R53, and the general consensus being that the GP intercooler is one of the best (guess not biggest but best recovery etc) surprises me that no one out there has copied it....not that I can see anyway.

With them being the thick end of 1200 quid, surprised one of the bigger names hasn't produced a more reasonably priced replica as I'm sure there would be a market for it.

Thoughts? (Or am I way off the mark?)

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,418 Posts
Whatever it is it'd have to be similar in price, or cheaper than the current stuff. For a handmade bespoke item I'm not sure it'd be possible to do that especially considering it'd need a custom cover to make it seal effectively

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever it is it'd have to be similar in price, or cheaper than the current stuff. For a handmade bespoke item I'm not sure it'd be possible to do that especially considering it'd need a custom cover to make it seal effectively
Good point Colin, suppose it would need the diverted plate as well......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Too many intercoolers (especially the cheap Ebay ones) have very cheap and inefficient cores, they may be bigger but their airflow is very poor, so often they have slow recovery rates and thus are worse than the standard cooler. If you look in the end of the standard cooler you'll see how efficient the core is at getting air in and through it, then look at a cheap one, the difference is obvious.

I believe the GP cooler is a standard one with additional rows that are obvious when you look at it.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,418 Posts
Too many intercoolers (especially the cheap Ebay ones) have very cheap and inefficient cores, they may be bigger but their airflow is very poor, so often they have slow recovery rates and thus are worse than the standard cooler. If you look in the end of the standard cooler you'll see how efficient the core is at getting air in and through it, then look at a cheap one, the difference is obvious.

I believe the GP cooler is a standard one with additional rows that are obvious when you look at it.
Did you ever read through the data I provided for the hobotec? You are way off the mark about recovery rate if you are referring to that one, which I assume you are as it's the cheapest out there

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How effective are these 3rd party diverter plates (DDMworks) and bigger scoops with the stock IC at bringing temps down?

Have to excuse my ignorance but say you installed a decent meth system, would this potentially negate/eliminate the need to change the stock IC on a moderately tuned car?

Just seems unusual to me that someone hasnt dissected a GP intercooler and produced a replica as yet if they really are that good. I guess in earlier days it was easier to get one at reasonable cost but no one wants to be paying 1200 quid for one do they?

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
A good meth system and a Grs motorsports intercooler would be a far better use of 1200 quid ...

scoop options are worth looking at but not an option (for me) if you wish‘d to keep it looking stock

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Have to excuse my ignorance but say you installed a decent meth system, would this potentially negate/eliminate the need to change the stock IC on a moderately tuned car?
Yes it would. Even on a more than moderately tuned car.

Just seems unusual to me that someone hasnt dissected a GP intercooler and produced a replica as yet if they really are that good. I guess in earlier days it was easier to get one at reasonable cost but no one wants to be paying 1200 quid for one do they?
You might as well dissect the stock IC... the GP one is exactly the same, but with a core that's two rows bigger, and the end tanks have been extended towards the top by welding.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it would. Even on a more than moderately tuned car.

You might as well dissect the stock IC... the GP one is exactly the same, but with a core that's two rows bigger, and the end tanks have been extended towards the top by welding.
Cheers JKo, makes sense. Still a surprise to me that a decent GP replica doesnt exist....or something based on the stock cooler with more rows at least. I guess it's the issue with these things is that bigger doesnt always necessarily mean better?

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,418 Posts
I kinda bucked the trend and fitted a meth system rather than a GRS (airtec weren't a thing then) mainly because it was actually cheaper. If anyone wants to make me a decent offer I could be persuaded to part with it

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I kinda bucked the trend and fitted a meth system rather than a GRS (airtec weren't a thing then) mainly because it was actually cheaper. If anyone wants to make me a decent offer I could be persuaded to part with it
I think if I ever went far enough with it I think I'd probably go with an AEM meth kit like yours Col and just keep the stock IC (y)

I figure a bigger cooler can be a bit of a catch-22 as potentially what you can look to gain in HP through cooler intake air you can stand to lose from boost drop (with there being less pressure in the core)? I guess though it serves to produce more reliable power without risk of clipping though.....and I guess once you run out of meth you're back to square 1 somewhat until you refill?

Find this quite interesting, probably in need of some education from the more learned of you (y)😂

·
Registered
131 Posts
Running meth injection on these cars, if fuelled correctly through mapping and appropriate hardware, is not going to add any benefit in terms of performance. The limitations are those you mentioned and thus relying on the water injection is a risky game.

Youre right about coolers with too big volumes, it’s a fine balance as ever.

My personal view is any intercooler is going to have limited success due to its position on these cars, above the engine is less than ideal for a road car.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
I Ran meth for 50k on road and track without issue, seems to be an often repeated mantra, that it might clog or randomly die but equally I didn’t rely on it with an all or nothing tune and used a topline aquamist system, With a big fat jet, and a failsafe next to the Rev counter. think I’d be more worried about fuel or oil starvation on a track car.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have 2 or 3 stock coolers in the garage, I don't think cutting and welding 2 of them together to make a GP size one would be successful?

My personal view is any intercooler is going to have limited success due to its position on these cars, above the engine is less than ideal for a road car.
It's fine with some airflow, only an issue when stationary. My ebay/Hobotec cooler with Atomspeed scoop runs between ambient and 2° above when cruising, and recovery rates are very good. Yes it needs modification to the diverter to achieve this, but it's a cheap way to get Airtec performance (same core). It's definitely better than the stock cooler for me, I can drive hard on the road and not worry about temps climbing too high. Front mounts are out there and do run a lot cooler at the expense of pressure drop.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Cheers JKo, makes sense. Still a surprise to me that a decent GP replica doesnt exist....or something based on the stock cooler with more rows at least. I guess it's the issue with these things is that bigger doesnt always necessarily mean better?
I've been wondering about the same thing. Maybe the tooling that it would need is expensive. The end tanks look like they're pressed in to shape. And the aftermarket IC scene is all about thick cores...

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,418 Posts
If you are running on the stock ecu then the same iat protections are still valid. With a standalone it's down to personal preference and the capabilities of the unit. On my car the fluid solenoid activation triggers a flip in fuel, boost and ignition mapping. No fluid flow for whatever reason (including pump faults or low fluid warnings) and you have normal mapping. Truth be told I'm too lazy to 'B' map it as I don't need meth

1 - 17 of 17 Posts