MiniTorque.com banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Have you verified the flywheel has the crankshaft locking pin hole? A few aftermarket flywheels don't have it, making timing very difficult to adjust.
Good question - hadn’t thought of that in all honesty. Is the 7th hole around the middle it or is it on the outer edge?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good question - hadn’t thought of that in all honesty. Is the 7th hole around the middle it or is it on the outer edge?
Here's an '07 flywheel --- arrow marks the spot. Other three holes????

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
BiggRed finished the calipers, made up with how they look - just need the rears done to match now :ROFLMAO:

Should hopefully get the clutch job done in the next few weeks then it’s ‘finished’ again :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
some 11mm spacers and 215/45's or 225/45's and those will sit much better, maybe 16mm up front with 225 but clearance may be ok, these cars should have come with 215/45 out of the factory really, they fit the arch much better on 53's or 56's imo.

very yellow calipers, doing the rears the same?

Reactions: Chrispy

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
some 11mm spacers and 215/45's or 225/45's and those will sit much better, maybe 16mm up front with 225 but clearance may be ok, these cars should have come with 215/45 out of the factory really, they fit the arch much better on 53's or 56's imo.

very yellow calipers, doing the rears the same?
Will get the rears painted some time after i've picked myself up off the floor with the spend in the last couple of months - still reeling at totting up the clutch/flywheel job and that's not even finished yet!!

Tempted to put the Cup2s back on as the winters have been a bit shit so far and offer no real grip so fancy my chances considering how mild it's been so far...

·
Premium Member
5,671 Posts
Up until last April I'd run Federal 595 RS-R's all year round for years, just backing off anywhere near standing water but everywhere else if dry or damp they worked, not so clever in snow, but most weather most of the time they were easy to manage so if you're inclined to change to summers you might find the same but to be fair the 595's were very sticky and treadwear 140. Cup 2's I think would be similar maybe? Have you had the clutch fitted then?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
My brothers been running Avon ZZRs in his lotus and that’s got more grip in this shit weather than my Conti winters :rolleyes:
Might put them on at the weekend and see how I get on until we get some real shit weather.

clutch scheduled for 6th February I think - hoped I’d save money doing all the jobs at once but I’m regretting it after being about £3k in total:oops::oops:

·
Registered
50 Posts
BiggRed finished the calipers, made up with how they look - just need the rears done to match now :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 98585
View attachment 98586
Should hopefully get the clutch job done in the next few weeks then it’s ‘finished’ again :rolleyes:
looks amazing!! love the colour combo!!.. are these just the standard JCW calipers that were refurbished?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Update - the usual "i'm not spending any more on it" occurs, followed by spending money on it...

Spent a couple of hours shaving the alcantara and cleaning it, cleaned the leather and filled the worn bits and coloured them so looking like they don't need new covers just yet. Think these fit the style of the car much better than Pole Positions and I'm pretty happy with them all in all.

Day at Bedford kinda spoiled by brakes or lack of, Calipers refurbed by BiggRed in Jan/Feb and i'm still bleeding out random bits of sludge despite putting about 3L of fluid through them. Pedal feels amazing then goes to the floor.
Was bedding in some DS1.11's and they felt epic up to the point of the fluid giving up and then ruined the bed in process I think.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Looks like a hell of lot of camber.
Does look pretty cool in that photo! Front is just over -2 and rear is just under -2, need to sort the back with an ARB and back some camber off but trying to minimise spends really.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
What fluid are you boiling?
bedford gt circuit is heavy on brakes, I used carbotec xp8 in those calipers and still felt I needed more,
but I have been spoilt in the past with the brakes I had on my r53
View attachment 100820
Running ATE Typ200 at the mo, probably swap it out to Motul RBF600/660 when i'm confident the crap is flushed out the front calipers. I've got a photo of grey/white sludgey stuff separated from the clean brake fluid somewhere - just seems impossible to get a clean flush out of it.

Yeah Bedford is a big one for brakes - the best day i had was fresh discs and the Brembo HP2000s but the next time the pads just fell to bits and calipers really suffered. Think the DS1.11s glazed over so weren't stopping anywhere near as well as they should - wasted money there unless I can get them back somehow!
Getting tempted by the Megane Brembo caliper plus GP2 discs to gain a bit of disc thickness for an almost cost neutral change after selling these JCW brakes, loathed to drop ££££ on a proper BBK as at the end of the day I'd rather have a Lotus or something daft that can take proper track abuse!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
The stuff in the top is what BiggRed shipped the calipers back to me with I think - I'll be flushing the calipers out and then a blob of whatever it is comes out so it's just sat in the calipers and comes out in bits. Assuming this is the stuff causing the pedal to go long and it's just getting annoying!
I seem to have a good pedal feel again now and back to running the HP2000 pads, although they weren't looking too great when i swapped them out to DS1.11s.
Another issue with the Ferodo pads is they barely fit in the calipers - I think once they're heating up they just can't move as freely as they should probably be. Are people still running the pad spring thing when swapping out to race pads? Mine was catching on the disc once warm too...

81 - 100 of 111 Posts