MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Looks great, congratz! By the way which pole position do you have? Worth the price? People can get on back seats?
Which oil are you using? I'm using at the moment Liqui Moly Moligen 5w40 but I'm considering to change to Motul 300v 5w40, any advice?

Thanks
I've got the non FIA half "leather" ones, they're nice but I try not to think about how much they set me back! I justified it by saying I could fit them to every car I own from now on....
If you're good at being a contortionist, you can get in the back although I wouldn't recommend it. The back seats are only in as I haven't pulled my finger out buying a seat delete kit yet.
Oil wise I tend to use Castrol or Millers, usually stick to a 5w40 to try and keep the N18 tick down a bit.

looks great, when I painted my floor grey like your's I added black lines, saves the tyres marking the grey
I never did get round to the walls :mads:
Mopping it seems to be an endless task! Will see how long this floor lasts, can always tile over it or something if it proves to be a nightmare. So far it's coped with hot, sticky track tyres and oil spills and lots of water so impressed with it as is!

Don't worry, the tyres won't mark the walls..........::getcoat::
:lol:

I don't know about that, the R53 is driving me up the wall atm with all the rattles
I've noticed a sunroof rattle since we've had some sun this last week, that's enough to drive me mad for now!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Fitting was a hell of a lot easier now I've had practice putting the Akrapovic on and off my GP (removal in a Mini car park and pretty much throwing it back together!)
2 hours start to test drive, and overall pretty happy with it. Sounds ace when giving it the beans but almost standard in normal conditions.

Did you manage to get the downpipe out without removing the lower heat shield? I always remove both of them when I'm welding up my Milltek every few months but the lower one is a pig...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Did you manage to get the downpipe out without removing the lower heat shield? I always remove both of them when I'm welding up my Milltek every few months but the lower one is a pig...
I did this time yes, I loosened the two on the left hand side and got just enough movement to be able to bend it where necessary and slide the old one out. The new one was a lot slimmer so went straight back up.
Also a lot easier when all the studs come out the turbo!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I did this time yes, I loosened the two on the left hand side and got just enough movement to be able to bend it where necessary and slide the old one out. The new one was a lot slimmer so went straight back up.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Hmm, I'm going to try that next time, it's one of my least favourite jobs.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
6EAF8CA1-0810-4BB5-B5AE-0785DB8CA8E1.jpg

V2’s a success on this one - maybe a touch lower to go but it’s height is functional.
Alignment still to be done, maybe I can tempt my dad into some wheels with a decent fitment...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Lohen came up with the goods with a Stage 1 map this week, currently on Mode B but tempted to go to Mode A just to push peak torque a bit further out.
The pull it has now is quite surprising :laugh: the pops and bangs are awful though, having to drive it off sport mode until I feel like being a child.

Stock figure was pretty strong too!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Got some more jobs done over the last couple of weeks:
Ohlins Top Mounts fitted - nice pieces of kit but ludicrously priced!

Set them both on a whim and luckily got them both a -2 degrees which was a bit of a bonus

And finally fitted the braided hoses I've had sat in my tool chest for mo

New tyres coming this week and a repainted side skirt then i'm 'stopping spending' - let's see how long that lasts :blink:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lohen came up with the goods with a Stage 1 map this week, currently on Mode B but tempted to go to Mode A just to push peak torque a bit further out.
The pull it has now is quite surprising :laugh: the pops and bangs are awful though, having to drive it off sport mode until I feel like being a child.

Stock figure was pretty strong too!
Those are good numbers for a stage 1.

Do you know what peak boost is by any chance?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Those are good numbers for a stage 1.

Do you know what peak boost is by any chance?
Will try and have a look on the Ultragauge the next time i'm out! Unfortunately barely get to drive it beyond commuting at the moment :(

Cup2's are on and fill the arches way better than the 215/40 AD08s did - I'm made up with how it looks now and how it handles.

Alignment is now sorted too, had to fit new inner and outer track rods as one side was seized. Pain in the arse to get the inner off but a pipe wrench soon got it free.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Ohlins ? Worth every penny and night and day better than the V2 say that’s on your dads mini ?
Cheers

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
What are your thoughts on the Ohlins ? Worth every penny and night and day better than the V2 say that’s on your dads mini ?
Cheers
Good question! This was what I was trying to sum up for him as he was really impressed with how mine rode compared to standard.
The ohlins are fantastic, I run them daily on about 10/11 clicks from full hard and 3/4 on track. They really transform with just minor tweaks and for a fast road/infrequent track use I think they’re perfect. I use the car for 10-12k per year and have no issues with it ride or damping wise.

The V2’s came in at £900 plus my top mounts, plus front springs so perhaps £1300 all in - and are very good, with the added bonus of stainless steel bodies.
My ohlins were about £1350 plus £430 top mounts which is significantly more, even more so now the RRP is nigh on £2000!
At £2500 for the full kit, I think they’re overpriced. If it was more like £15-1600 for everything I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again. The two cars aren’t fully comparable as I’m running Cups and dad running PSS as well as some other subtle tweaks. They’re both good setups and I doubt you’d be left wanting if you did get V2s, perhaps get a 70N/mm front spring and the gap may close even more!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Things are escalating quickly at the moment....

TTV Organic clutch and SMF, Quaife LSD, 4H Tech Short Shifter sat ready to fit - SuperPro wishbone bushes and some new ARB bushes still to get then I need to find a garage to fit some time late Jan/early Feb.

Car is currently on axle stands whilst the front callipers are refurbed at Bigg Red, then some Carbotech XP8s to fit and it can be a garage queen for a bit longer

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Nice, liking the clutch cover.

Reactions: Chrispy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have you verified the flywheel has the crankshaft locking pin hole? A few aftermarket flywheels don't have it, making timing very difficult to adjust.

Reactions: JakeMiCo
61 - 80 of 94 Posts