MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Would this be the cheapest place for a GP2 rear diffuser? It's around £339 for all the bits... Genuine spare parts for BMW and Mini - SIA EmiAuto EU I thought it might protect the underside from the elements a bit better.

Also, is there a plastic undertray that would fit under the engine from any other mini model? That carbon fibre thing from the GP2 looks a bit over the top.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've got the back end back together. I opted for a GP2 rear diffuser as I hoped it would help protect the underside of the car from the elements. I had to alter the Milltek exhaust a bit as I don't think it's designed for the rear diffuser and it was fouling the centre section. I've done the alignment very roughly with a bit of string which should get me as far as the garage to get it done properly.

Now onto the front end...

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Now to start on the front of the car. I'm hoping it's not too bad...

These are my ingredients for a poverty spec front undertray. I'll see if it works

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nothing looks dangerously bad. I'll need to replace the front bumper support bar and tidy up a few things like the sump but a good coat of wax and an undertray should keep it good for a while.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The brake line bracket looks like it will need cleaned up and there's some really rusty bits on the bumper support bar. I'm not sure what they're for, they don't seem to have any obvious function.

My bumper was only held on with 4 screws, is this normal? I thought there would have been more to it. I wonder if some have been left off by whoever put in the FMIC?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've had a go at customising a cheap plastic undertray to try and keep the engine bay and the subframe a bit cleaner and drier. My worst fear is that it will melt where is close to the exhaust even with the aluminium heat shield. I've added a few vents to let air circulate a bit better for cooling. It's not pretty but hopefully it will do the job and for £30 it's a good bit cheaper than the GP2 one.

I think an undertray should have come as standard equipment on these things!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Liking your work so far, the mods you are doing look like they will work nicely and showing some good customisation there.

I do agree with the under tray as the S only has a little one covering the alternator belt!!

Worth taking it apart, checking and cleaning up any rusty bits 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, it looks a bit cleaner now. It's never going to be concourse but if I can keep the rust at bay then that's half the battle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Definitely, I need to get under mine and give it a little rub down and coat of something. Thinking Hammerite might help. What have you used?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Anything that could unbolt - subframes, brackets, arms etc. was sent to the galvanisers then etch primed and top coated with some xylene based paint that I had. The underbody was just shot blasted and treated with Bilt Hamber products before getting galvafroid, seam sealer and stone chip then painted with the same top coat. Then the whole lot was either filled with or covered with Bilt Hamber wax until it was running onto the floor. It's not easy to kill rust but hopefully I'll get a few more years out of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fair play mate, you have done it properly then, I can't see it getting rusty for a while now 👍🏼

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
When I went to do the wheel alignment then the front track rods had rusted themselves into the tie rods. Even heat wasn't doing much so I had to swap out the tie rods and track rods with new ones. The passenger side was easy enough and I could get a 38mm spanner straight on but the drivers side was too tight and I had to make a special tool. Not pretty but it did the job! Available for the cost of postage if anyone is doing tie rods anytime soon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts