MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time, well since the lower engine bed was removed to do the suspension bushes, my R52 has sounded too noisy inside the cabin.

Listening to the engine from outside or with the roof down it was fine and the noise was coming from the footwell.

Today I fixed it and it cost me nothing and took 10 mins.

When the steering column was disconnected to drop the bed the rubber boot was removed inside the car and guess what, it was never fitted back correctly, if at all to be frank.

Today I got the chance to drive in my brothers Mini to compare the noises, that helped lead me to the issue.

A small screwdriver and some careful prodding and pulling and I got it fitted at both ends and the noise has gone completely.

Happy days, well not to happy the mistake was made in the first place.

Here‘s a pic of the part, so others can check theirs is right.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
it probably wasn't 'removed', it was most likely yanked out when they forgot to disconnect the steering column, or actually not manually physically move the U/J aside, instead hoping for it to just pull free.

The real cnut of a part to refit is the rubber cover on the engine bay side, you might even find yours sitting on the U/J....

glad you got that bit in though, noisy aren't they when off (y)

Reactions: KeithyCoop

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it probably wasn't 'removed', it was most likely yanked out when they forgot to disconnect the steering column, or actually not manually physically move the U/J aside, instead hoping for it to just pull free.

The real cnut of a part to refit is the rubber cover on the engine bay side, you might even find yours sitting on the U/J....

glad you got that bit in though, noisy aren't they when off (y)
I’ll have a look (any guidance on what I’m looking for?). I’m hoping this is it as it’s now as quiet as my brothers Mini.

A friend owns the garage and has said sorry about this part not being refitted correctly, so if another needs putting back I’m sure he’ll oblige.

I suspect this was removed looking for the coupling as on a Vauxhall (they usually work on them) it’s on the inside, then forgotten about when they put it back together (having found its in the engine bay).

No excuses though, these things take a few minutes to check, a customer shouldn’t have to tell you.
Much like mechanics who slam bonnets and the find the screwdriver they left in there imprinted on the bonnet.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
you can see it here covering the U/J having dropped down, it's nigh on impossible to refit with the engine in the car, this one I managed to get to stay on but it still isn't secured all the way around. It has a really thin lip to hook over. The main one is the bush you've already done, but if that was off and you could see right through, then this one is off also.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you can see it here covering the U/J having dropped down, it's nigh on impossible to refit with the engine in the car, this one I managed to get to stay on but it still isn't secured all the way around. It has a really thin lip to hook over. The main one is the bush you've already done, but if that was off and you could see right through, then this one is off also.
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look in a bit, can’t recall seeing anything like that, fingers crossed.

Edit update: checked and thankfully the outer bung is securely in place...phew.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
(y)

Reactions: KeithyCoop

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got this problem on mine. The only thing I can think of is I dislodged it removing the subframe. I've never managed to get it back on securely & I have tried & tried.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got this problem on mine. The only thing I can think of is I dislodged it removing the subframe. I've never managed to get it back on securely & I have tried & tried.
The inside boot or the outside one?

The former is quite easy to get back in place, not tried the other, but CorB clearly says it's a pain and I've no reason to disbelieve him.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The outer one. I had the same experience as you, thought the car was noisy, went looking & found both covers off. The inner one is easy enough to seat, the outer one is awkward as to get at.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Working on the car and just had a look, mine is securely fitted which points me back to the manifold gasket or flexi. Have a spare gen mini manifold but will probably leave as is until I can get a performance one, not worth doing the job twice.

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
might be a good time to look at your mounts,

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Thanks Sean, replaced the mounts when I got it last year, fluid filled one had its guts everywhere and lower and gearbox ones were split. Hence thinking manifold initially due to engine movement but was hoping for this instead as an easier fix :LOL:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife, said about feeling water and air coming from that area a few times, the first time was about 4 years ago!
I honest thought she was talking shit. Anyway, I had a look at my one yesterday, and after seeing this post and guess what?
The two plastic washers had come apart and out of the rubber boot!!!
Bloody fiddly getting the thing in, but glad it's back. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts