MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondered if any of you guys had any ideas on this. Ive just had lower arm bushes replaced as part of a recent MOT. On Saturday driving around the Dales an intermittent horrible grinding/graunching noise started and seemed to start as i put right bias on the steering. Oddly it came and went throughout the day. On Sunday, driving in a spirited way :) i didnt notice the noise once. Driving home on a straight road at 50MPH, no steering input, it came and went the whole trip back. I first thought it was the disc rear dust cover catching but over the drive back sounded more engine/supercharger eating itself. Saying that i didnt lose any performance and the supercharger still whines beautifully. No smoke and recent oil change. Oil level is fine and i was planning to change the supercharger oil soon. The aux belt tensioner needs replacing as that is warn and makes a noise when air con is put on. There was a constant low level drone too which i felt at the time was a wheel bearing and since then i've had it up and where i thought the mechanical noise was coming from, front offside, the wheel bearing has definitely gone and the wheel has significant play in it. On the way back it got progressively louder and had some vibration.

Do you think it is a combination of wheel bearing and tensioner that might make an awful graunching noise? I cannot reproduce at idle and the car needs to be moving to reproduce but again it comes and goes without a pattern i can see.

Sorry, long post. i will replace all wheel bearings as it has 130k miles on it now, service the supercharger and replace the tensioner but wondered if anyone else has had anything like this? Replacement oil was Castrol Edge fully synthetic 5w-30.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,528 Posts
wheel bearing probably

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both, I am just wary bearings tend to drone not graunch!! I have two new front bearings and will fit on Saturday. Just need to source a 32mm socket and BIG breaker bar!! The axle nuts arent LH thread are they?

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,528 Posts
Thanks both, I am just wary bearings tend to drone not graunch!! I have two new front bearings and will fit on Saturday. Just need to source a 32mm socket and BIG breaker bar!! The axle nuts arent LH thread are they?
correct, but the item being fouled as a result of a failing bearing tilting the hub face will graunch....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts