MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Mini R53, pretty standard, which has had a starting problem developing. When it’s been sat an hour or more, it cranks but takes a bit to fire. I’ve fitted new plugs which hasn’t done anything. I’ve got leads to do, but the intercooler snoots look hard to get back on.
The fuel pump primes and I leave it a few seconds, but that doesn’t help, so I changed the fuel pump.
However, since then it’s had a faint smell of fuel at the back end when you walk up to the car. The starting is probably a bit worse too.

I’ve found that turning it over for a second or so, then stopping, then starting it again is fine.
Once it’s been running for a few minutes, turning it off and restarting is no issue, it just seems to be after it’s been sat for over an
Hour.

I’m guessing there’s some fuel vacuum issue? But I don’t know where to start. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I’d be really grateful

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would add. No issues with driving, plus after the rocker cover gasket was changed at a garage a couple of weeks ago, there’s been a much more noticeable hollow echoey whooo sound when accelerating

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Try turning the engine on but not starting for a few seconds.

In that time, you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming the fuel rail.

If it then starts fine, it is just fuel-fall-back.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I fitted a inline fuel pressure regulator to mine chasing a problem, easily done as the fuel lines are available on the off side, once I was finished with the gauge I put a straight connector on with a couple of hose clips. Alternatively you fit a gauge to the end of the fuel rail to check the pressure. Either option fit it, ignition to prime the pump then knock it off, read the pressure and leave it to sit for half hour and read it again.
Check your injector Orings..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try turning the engine on but not starting for a few seconds.

In that time, you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming the fuel rail.

If it then starts fine, it is just fuel-fall-back.
I’ve found a “cure”, as waiting for the pump to prime didn’t make any difference.

I turn the ignition, try and fire the car for a second or 2. Turn off ignition, and immediately restart and it’s fine. Once it’s been used for a few minutes, restarting is fine too, it’s only once it’s been sat for over an hour or so that it won’t start properly.
I wonder if something is adrift somewhere or loose under the tank as there is still a slight whiff of fuel sometimes from outside which I didn’t notice before fitting the replacement pump

·
Registered
535 Posts
I’d check the intercooler and vacuum pipes are all correctly fitted and not cracked. I had to replace the injector seals on our Mini having worked on it near by. Easy to do and boy were they in a bad way, spray carb cleaner on them and if the revs fluctuate then you have found your leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d check the intercooler and vacuum pipes are all correctly fitted and not cracked. I had to replace the injector seals on our Mini having worked on it near by. Easy to do and boy were they in a bad way, spray carb cleaner on them and if the revs fluctuate then you have found your leak.
popped off the intercooler and found this at no4 , so I’m going to order a set of injector seals and get them done, will hopefully cure the cold start issue. The underside of the intercooler was knackered too and had oil / fuel in it, so I guess I could change this too

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Black Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only drive it to work and back, I probably do about 40 miles a week with other trips, so it doesn’t exactly get very hot for long, so I’m presuming a normal cooler would be ok because from what I’m reading at the moment they do get hot if driven for a while so the bigger intercooler is better?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Should I get a larger cooler again, or a standard one?
From that am I taking it that you think the intercooler is goosed?

I ask because the only light damage I can see in the pic is to the side bar, there is no air flowing through that, it is solid.

Unless there is damage not shown in the pic it is fine to refit rather than buy another.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From that am I taking it that you think the intercooler is goosed?

I ask because the only light damage I can see in the pic is to the side bar, there is no air flowing through that, it is solid.

Unless there is damage not shown in the pic it is fine to refit rather than buy another.
thanks, I thought it was done, saves me buying a replacement

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You should be able to get someone to pressure check the intercooler for leaks. As above, it looks like only the outside bar is bent.

Definitely put standard snoot boots on. Those silicone ones are known for leaking and they have no flexibility.

A new set of injector seals is a must!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I may have discovered the smell issue. Driving to work this morning, went round the roundabout and the back spun out. Huge smell of fuel, liquid on the road behind me and strong smell all the way to work afterwards. Strong smell from under the NSR arch so whether that’s the neck or the fuel pump leaking I’m not sure, but taken it straight to the garage next door to get checked out, as only out half a tank in yesterday

1 - 20 of 23 Posts