MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all again, my troublesome Cooper S broke down with a fuel supply warning.
So on the side of the road checked every fuse I could then got towed back.
first of all I put a multimetre in the plug to the fuel pump which reported 9v while the engine is turning so I assumed fuel pump and replaced but still the pump is not working, In the bently manual it states to check F46 fuse in the footwell which is fine and remove the K36 fuel pump relay and bridge the pins to check the circuit, when I do that I hear a click under the dash but no fuel pump, the second hand pump came with the loom still connected but cut off so I stripped the wire back and connect a 12v battery an both pumps work and the car starts, bently states it could be the circuit to the pimp from the relay.
So my question is has anyone had this problem is it common and how to fix would be great...
regards
Lee.

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts
there is some info out there about an internal relay in the footwell module I think, can be opened and repaired but I expect most would find another

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks for your reply, have been googling and seen some people saying it they had to change fuse box so I looked on ebay and there are some but say it needs coding, so if i changed it would the car be drivable or does it need to go to garage?
Thanks.

· Registered
3 Posts
Its probably the relay thats sandwhiched in between circuit boards in the footwell. Ive replaced one, and ive taken one apart and fixed it for a friend, also have a bad one currently. Its not an easy solder job at all. Theres about 20ish 2mm solid posts that hold the 2 boards apart but in close proximity. Very difficult to get apart and back together .... unless you fix circuit boards for a living... and i do not. I wont do it again.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks for your reply that's confirming what I found on a google search and what CarsorBikes said I found this tutorial and the job doesn't look fun so after trawling eBay because I have a very uncommon part number on my fuse box, mine is 61 35 3455440-02 doesn't even show on realoem but I found 61 35 3455440-01 contacted the supplier they said check fuses are in the same location and I had already noticed some have different plugs so checked those are also the same, so basically bought this one as a backup to see if its definitely the problem and the car runs as a few people have done just that to get the car running but usually find heated seat or rear wash wipe does not worked until coded to the car, then I might give it a go...

Did you have to replace the relay or did you just have a dry joint?
Lee.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fusebox came off ebay and the car started but had ABS errors no sport mode or power steering so took it straight off thinking I had blown something up and put the old fusebox back on and the errors cleared, so yeah I was going to have a go but didn't feel confident either so found a guy on ebay with 100% feeback found him on google with 100% feedback paid him £159 sent it to him he said he had repaired it and sent it back, fitted it today and not only is the fuel pump not working the car wont start at all, if I powered the fuel pump off an external battery and it would start before now it does't so I'm guessing he's damaged it some how, I put the spare fuse box back on and it starts first time but with ABS errors either cos it need coding or cos the part number doen't match. I have messaged him but looks like I will have to take it to garage and have a new one fitted....
What a nightmare.....

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts
what are the part numbers from your original and the replacement that works albeit with issues? Put yours into RealOEM and see if the other number is in the supersession list, if it is then try recoding it, if it isn't find one that is

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The part number on my original is 61 35 3455440-02 made in Morocco but I think usually you miss off the first 4 numbers and the -2 on part searches, I couldn't find it on realoem at all but found numbers based on my vin but the numbers never included -1 or -2.
The part number of the one I got off eBay as a backup was 61 35 3455440-01 made in Spain, I spoke to the guy who repaired/broke my original who said he would have it back and check it out for me and reimburse my postage, I told him about my second unit he says the 01 and 02 is country of manufacture and its safe just needs coding so just need to find someone in the Halesowen area to do it and hopefully he will find the problem with my old unit so I will have spare as it controls so much it will be easy to pop on in the event of future problems.

· Premium Member
6,693 Posts
if not a start/stop car the new number shows possibly as 3457582 with one of several historic numbers being close to yours of 3455444, sometimes supersessions don't include all the numbers for whatever reason, on a main dealer ETK they can show more sometimes from memory but not many dealers will trawl through seemingly irrelevant stuff,

I can code them but not so local (Wirral), I can also apply software updates but there are conditions.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that it hadn't accured to me to try the other numbers on the suspersesion list until your previous post, but yeah its a stop/start car the fusebox I have now is same part number but with a -01 an mine is -02 but off a diesel and mine is cooper s petrol but was expecting stuff not to work but the ABS error supprised me.
But yeah if the MOT hadn't run out while I've been trying to get this sorted I would have had a day out and come up to you an paid you to do it....
The guy has had my original fusebox back today so hopefully he's done something easy to fix and he will send it back working....
Thanks for your help again.

· Premium Member
6,693 Posts
maybe the ABS has something to do with the cars perhaps being ASC or DSC spec and the programming/coding not matching if going from one to the other? Guessing but perhaps could be \O/

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi yeah it is ASC so could be, But I spoke to the guy at autoelectron who originally fixed my fusebox after he received back, he says one of the joined pins between the two pcb's had fell out and he missed it, took full responsibility and couldn't apologise enough, he repaired it refunded my post and shipped it back special delivery and its back on and everything seems to be working plus he fitted a new relay so shouldn’t need to worry about it for a while at least....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts