MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having an issue while fuelling my 2013 MINI Cooper Coupe, where while fuelling, the pump clicks off as if the tank were full even though it's nowhere near. I have tried partially inserting the fuel nozzle and tried to fill slowly, but it clicks off after a few seconds. I have tried the fuel nozzle upside down, partially inserted, and slow trickle. Nothing seems to work; I can get a couple of litres in at most before the pump shuts off completely.

This morning I got to a garage as the fuel gauge read only 4 miles left to empty. I spent 20 mins putting in 15 litres, I couldn’t get anymore in as the fuel was starting to spill out. My fuel gauge read empty despite the 15 litres I had just put in. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it it now shows 3/4 full.

I dont have any fault codes and the engine runs fine. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong? Has anyone else had this problem?

· Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,693 Posts
sounds like it's full and you might have a faulty tank unit perhaps

· Registered
2007 Mini Cooper S R56
684 Posts
Have you recently changed fuel filter?
You might have damaged the fuel level sensors. there are 2 of them, one on the left side (pump) and one on the right side (fuel filter). It uses both to evaluate the fuel quantity. the fact that it took 20min to get 15lts is strange! maybe something that broke blocks off the fueling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts